Strange Water Leak Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Recently, I had a builder start building me a two storey extension on my property.
Once he had dug down for the foundation (around 1m or so), He told me that there was water coming out from under the property.

I called a local firm out and they initially thought that the water was coming from a damaged water mains pipe coming into the house. But on turning off the mains water supply, the water kept on coming out (there was no mains water coming into the house, all the house taps were open and no water was coming out). On turning off the water supply, the water meter reading was not changing.

There had recently been a lot of rain and my house is on an incline - mine being towards the bottom of the incline. If this water is not from the main supply, where could it be coming from? Could it due to the massive rain showers we have had recently?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
High Water table, underground Spring, leaking pipe elsewhere finding its way, leaking sewer. Water Co. may come and test the water if asked to prove its not a supply pipe leaking or sewage.

OP,
Before any building work, how come BCO had not required test pits for a two-story extension foundation?
Ref the foundation water then at 1m deep its very possible that its the normal water table coming down the incline. It might even be pressurised by the recent rain you report?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back