Strengthening loft joists for flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening,
I asked a question before about strengthening joists however my plans have yet again changed .

Current lost joists are 4x2 running back to front , supporting stud wall somewhere in the middle.

Now I know you can add parallel 6x2/7x2 etc but could I glue and screw some 3x2 4x2 ontop of the current joists making them higher?

Now I know automatically someone will say you should leave a gap
or a risk of the weight cracking the old lat ceiling underneath which I would normally agree however we are lowering the ceilings upstairs by 3 inch and boarding them ( and insulating ) these new studs will be running the opposite way to the current loft joists.

Hope you get what I’m saying lol
Thanks
Jake

Sponsored Links
but could I glue and screw some 3x2 4x2 ontop of the current joists making them higher?
Thats exactly what I suggested (via Tony1851), in your last post...

Hi Random ,
Indeed I recall that… it was more of the thought of my ceiling is getting lowered directly below my current ceiling would that give me adequate strength instead of using 7x2 and reaching the required insulation depth
Thanks
Jake

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back