Stuck Thermostatic shower valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, there is lukewarm water coming out from the shower at maximum hot settings, so I suspect the thermostatic valve needs replacing.

Unfortunately valve is suck and doesn’t come out after unscrewed. Is there any way to pull it, maybe some sort of puller tool for valves?

below is phot of the valve when it is fully in, didn’t take it when unscrewed.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2691.jpeg
    IMG_2691.jpeg
    318 KB · Views: 31
Sponsored Links
If I remove those little cartridges on left and right, and unscrew the 4 hex bolts, will I be able to remove the whole front plate together with the valve ? And if I do it, so will I damage any seals that would need replacing ?

This installations about 23 years old, Hansgrohe Starck 2000-2002

Last edited:
The hexagons left and right will be filters, worth checking at some point. Does the cartridge have any movement at all when unscrewed? It's probably limescale holding it in so maybe some penetrating fluid could help. A picture of the replacement cartridge may help you here......showerdoc.co.uk.
John

Thanks John, I unscrewed those filters and cleaned them and back. They look ok - could they be the reason for lukewarm water? Doubt it but I am not a plumber.. Cartridge does move a tiny bit, the problem is I don't have enough leverage to pull it.

Here is picture of replacement cartridge:
1726657450608.png

Thinking more about it I may be able to screw in bolt into valve handle and try to pull it...

Can you recommend a penetrating fluid? Would WD40 help here?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Maybe a large penny washer under the central screw could give you more leverage?
WD won't do any harm but whether it can get deep enough is another matter.
It will budge though, there's nothing else holding it in.
John

Thanks was thinking about it, maybe even something bigger like metal plate, but will the central screw hold ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back