sunbed ( double canopy type ) how to & what electrics...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
need to install electrics in shed for sunbed, needs to be on own circuit, shed around 35 foot from house want to use swa underground, also needs a light & socket putting in,

please can someone tell me what is required, sunbed needs 30 amps i think,

1 spare fuseway in board rcd side,

thanks for any help,

Sponsored Links
ultimate said:
sunbed needs 30 amps i think,

that is not a sunbed, its an oven

try a search, been done to death on this forum. you may also want to look up "part p" too

ultimate said:
need to install electrics in shed for sunbed
Can you say "malignant melanoma"?

Does the overall shape of a sunbed remind you of anything else?

image002.jpg

ban-all-sheds said:
ultimate said:
need to install electrics in shed for sunbed
Can you say "malignant melanoma"?

Does the overall shape of a sunbed remind you of anything else?

image002.jpg

it might not be 30 amps then ?

its the same sort of bed shown,

Sponsored Links
ban-all-sheds said:
ultimate said:
it might not be 30 amps then ?
Wire it up with bellwire on a 3A fuse - it'll be safer that way.

its the same sort of bed shown,
Good - the practice of lying in something that shape will come in handy...

why cant you just answer my question,

ultimate said:

because i already have.

your question has been "done to death" on this forum, and most of us are fed up answering it. Try a search for power to shed, garage,outhouse, and also look up part p

breezer said:
ultimate said:

because i already have.

your question has been "done to death" on this forum, and most of us are fed up answering it. Try a search for power to shed, garage,outhouse, and also look up part p

well i cant find any people wanting to put a su8nbed in there shed on a dedicated circuit so my question has not been done to death at all, if you cant be bothered to give advice then why run a forum or be a member of one,

its fine getting the electrics in for the sunbed what about the light & socket, can i run 4 core swa use L1 for the sunbed the use L2 for the socket which is needed then come from that with a switch fused spure for the light replacing fuse with 3 amp one, ?

all i need to know is,
1, can i run the power for the shed off the spare breaker, if so what size,

shall i fit an isolater sunbed end to isolate power from sunbed when needed, if so which sort,

will 6mm swa be enough, thats all i want to know,

You should not be doing this work - and not because of Part P, but because you just don't understand anything about what you need to do.

well i cant find any people wanting to put a su8nbed in there shed on a dedicated circuit so my question has not been done to death at all, if you cant be bothered to give advice then why run a forum or be a member of one,
It doesn't matter that it's a sunbed - it could be a hot tub, a lathe, a kiln, a welder, an A/C unit, a milking machine, a socket for a lawnmower - anything at all. All that matters is that it uses electricity and it needs a certain amount of it in order to work. The fact that you have discounted all the information on getting electricity out to a shed because the intended use wasn't a sunbed shows that you understand nothing about electrical circuits.

its fine getting the electrics in for the sunbed what about the light & socket, can i run 4 core swa use L1 for the sunbed the use L2 for the socket which is needed then come from that with a switch fused spure for the light replacing fuse with 3 amp one, ?
You are supplying electricity to a shed. Once the supply is there you can create whatever circuits you need. You said yourself that the feed for the shed is a single MCB at the house end - how on earth can you therefore create multiple circuits from there?

In all the advice you've read here, have you not once seen that which describes a cable supplying a CU in the outbuilding with individual circuits coming from that?

all i need to know is,
1, can i run the power for the shed off the spare breaker,
Yes.

if so what size,
Depends on the load in the shed.

shall i fit an isolater sunbed end to isolate power from sunbed when needed,
Yes.

if so which sort,
Depends on the load of the sunbed.

will 6mm swa be enough, thats all i want to know
Depends on the load in the shed, and the length of the run, but you'll have seen all the info on that when you researched this topic here, as it's been done to death.

ban-all-sheds said:
You should not be doing this work - and not because of Part P, but because you just don't understand anything about what you need to do.

It doesn't matter that it's a sunbed - it could be a hot tub, a lathe, a kiln, a welder, an A/C unit, a milking machine, a socket for a lawnmower - anything at all. All that matters is that it uses electricity and it needs a certain amount of it in order to work. The fact that you have discounted all the information on getting electricity out to a shed because the intended use wasn't a sunbed shows that you understand nothing about electrical circuits.

You are supplying electricity to a shed. Once the supply is there you can create whatever circuits you need. You said yourself that the feed for the shed is a single MCB at the house end - how on earth can you therefore create multiple circuits from there?

In all the advice you've read here, have you not once seen that which describes a cable supplying a CU in the outbuilding with individual circuits coming from that?

all i need to know is,
1, can i run the power for the shed off the spare breaker,
Yes.

if so what size,
Depends on the load in the shed.

shall i fit an isolater sunbed end to isolate power from sunbed when needed,
Yes.

if so which sort,
Depends on the load of the sunbed.

will 6mm swa be enough, thats all i want to know
Depends on the load in the shed, and the length of the run, but you'll have seen all the info on that when you researched this topic here, as it's been done to death.

ok thanks for your help, just answer me one more question,

say the su7nbed has a load of 20 amps, a socket for a lawnmower & has a light (flori) can i run a cable from say a 40 amp breaker house end into a 3 module encloser which would have a 32amp breaker for the sunbed, a 16 amp breaker for the single socket, ( radial) & 6 amp breaker for the light in the shed, ?

well answered ban.

ultimate - yes, providing you use the correctly sized cables.

the problem is you are basing all this on an assumption on what load the sunbed will require. if you know which one you're getting, contact manu and get the electrical load details. once you know what the load is, get the correctly rated cable.
if you don't know which sunbed, but want to get on with the work already, make allowances that the sunbed could end up requiring a more than 40A, and oversize the cable you run to the shed. other factors: voltage drop, TT/TNCS. you will find this in other posts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back