Switching - What in?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to fit several outdoor switches many of them are 2-gang with switching taking place indoors.

Anyhow, for the switching, what's the ideal way of carrying out the swiching in, junctions boxes/conduit boxes etc. for a 2-gang I'd be looking for a junction box for each switch or is there an ideal way. I don't like the look of all these junction boxes everywhere if I went that route.

Or if I had a larger junction box, I could do all the switching per 2-gang in the one box.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Fixing weatherproof switches for controling indoor and outdoor lights for a large shed/garage.

why can you not bring cable through the wall for each external switch, then take it to the internal switch, then up to light

Sponsored Links
The building is large with oudoor switches fitted to external girders. Conduit from switch to indoor if you understand that. I wanted to do the switching from conduit exit (good location).Distance from switch to light is approx 20m considering route path and floor to roof distance is 20ft.

why not run conduit indoors that way you can do it all in singles and no jb required

For example I wanted a 2-gang switch outside one entrance to control a light outside and switch a light on inside. I could get around this by using 2x 1 gang switches but its not really what I wanted.

I just wanted a simple way of wiring the 'switching' part of the two gang instead of using the 2 junction boxes/2 terminal conduit boxes.

Building is about 150ft long by 90ft wide with switches at various locations inside and out.

3 core 4 core SWA. Conduit with singles.

JB's are out - all termination in the swtiches and fittings.

Darkness - the fact that some of the switches are outside and some are inside is irrelevant, apart from type of cables, and installation methods. In terms of what you connect to where it's no different from the 2-way switches controlling your landing light.

Or am I missing something?

For switching in single gang swtiches would be ok to do, its just that swtiching 2 switches in the switch would be a tad difficult as in terms of room to work.

My plan was to switch at junction box/whatever and just have the t&e (twin red) going via conduit to switches.

I'll evalute other option mentioned.

Darkness - I'm sorry, but the more I read phrases like

many of them are 2-gang with switching taking place indoors

for the switching, what's the ideal way of carrying out the swiching in

I wanted to do the switching from conduit exit

I just wanted a simple way of wiring the 'switching' part of the two gang

swtiching 2 switches in the switch

the less I have a clue what you're on about. Maybe it's just me...

This bit I find particularly confusing:

Darkness said:
For switching in single gang swtiches would be ok to do, its just that swtiching 2 switches in the switch would be a tad difficult as in terms of room to work.

I'm not taking the mick, Darkness, but it is very difficult to see what you're getting at. Can you post a drawing detailing what you want to achieve?

If you are using masterseal, or another reputable make, there will be plenty of room to loop in and out of the switches.

I would aim for conduit and singles.

Like mentioned above, I'll use singles. The reason I mentioned using junction boxes etc to carry out the switching was because I didn't think my Ave Weatherproof switches would have enough room especially when its a 2-gang.

I'll give it a shot anyhow.

Cheers guys for the help.

I'm glad you're happy.

I'm still wondering which of us is on drugs ;) , as I always thought switches carried out switching, not junction boxes, but it's probably best all round if we all draw a veil over this and get on with other things....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back