T&E not outside but in a shed / barn / workshop convers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondering if I can use singles or T&E in conduit in a shed / barn -> now workshop conversion?? or would this be classed as outside???

Trying to limit the cost of SWA!

Sponsored Links
i would have thoughtit would be ok... as extr protection you cound you plastic conduit

just wondering :)

anybody got a formular (sp) for calculating voltage drop on singles in 20mm conduit..

Also, how do you size the earth cable for the curcuit.. bear with me..

As if I used say 10mm singles I'd be guessing at around 4-6mm for earth however it would be powering a secondary CU so surely 16mm would be better.. IYSWIM.

David

Sponsored Links
normal practice with singles is to size earth to match the live cores

i think smaller earths (as in T&E) are ok but i think people see them as a sign of poor workmanship (much like not running an earth link to the backbox in sockets)

Hmmm..

Wonder if my new shower is designed to accept a 10mm² earth, or if it was only designed with the expectation of T/E....

once you get to 10mm tails become an option too (there an option at smaller sizes if you can find a supplier)

which have thier advantages if you wan't to split wiring etc

By the time you start running in cables that size in conduit, SWA is cheaper!!

Tis true. Also if there is to be any livestock in the barn, that needs to be taken into account when designing the system.

there isnt, but I think we are going to go with SWA, just trying to find the best prices for
100m of 3 core 10mm or 3 core 6mm.

Would prefer the 10mm.

David

Start ringing round - it's a very common size - all wholesalers should have it.

And haggle. And remember 100m of SWA is heavy

Also, don't know what load you plan, but 12A is about the limit for 6mm² at that distance, and about 20A for 10mm².

My gut feeling is 35mm would be more appropriate.

Its to provide power to a shed, come workshop.. main load is a 2.2kw motor on some ramps.. Im guessing at 100m from the supply point but havent measured it..

Eitherway at this rate the cable is going to have cost more than the fookin ramp!

David

Also, don't know what load you plan, but 12A is about the limit for 6mm² at that distance, and about 20A for 10mm².

How do you work this out?

Ive just checked some figures using 16mm copper with my dads spreadsheet that he uses for network design and we dont have a problem with 16mm cable.. Problem is I dont have enough cable data for cables im looking at..

Split concentric current rating is even better!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back