T junction after filling loop?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Flummoxed on this one. I've had to change a rad valve the other day, and topped the system pressure up this morning. This afternoon I noticed the pressure was about 3 bar and the PRV had been discharging outside. The filling loop had been left connected, the valve on the mains side was left open (head had stripped, assume previous occupier couldn't be bothered to sort it) and so can only assume the non return valve isn't 100%. Anyway, I managed to turn the mains valve with some pliers, disconnect the loop and put the cap on, so problem solved (for now).

However, I noticed that between the end of the filling loop and the boiler, there's a T junction. The pipe goes up the wall beside the boiler, through it, out in to the kitchen, along the wall there and up in to the ceiling. Any ideas at all what this might be for?!

Attachments

• IMG_7740004F8AA2-1.jpeg
    IMG_7740004F8AA2-1.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 23
Sponsored Links
Your boiler has one pipe that takes the water it heats to the rads ,and another that returns the water to the boiler from the rads for re heating ,they are called flow and return pipes.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I’m familiar with both of those but online I’d not managed to find a picture of a boiler with the same setup.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back