Taking bets . . UPDATE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My upstairs lighting has tripped. It tripped BOTH the RCD and MCB. The RCD reset when I had the MCB off. Turning the MCB on causes both to trip.

The circuit tripped when I had just finished my shower and was turning off the light by pulling the pullswitch, the top of which is chrome plated.

The light fitting is a 32 watt circular fluorescent lamp, with a magnetic choke on a metal base.

What is the problem?

:cool:

Answers tomorrow evening when I find out (provided it is obvious when i take covers off).

Sponsored Links
random stab in the dark for humour more that anything... fixing screw of pull cord gone has through the cable

Sponsored Links
I know, I know!

There was a massive surge of current from the faulty choke as you switched off that shot across the damp bathroom atmosphere to the chrome switch cover.

It then tracked down the cord and grounded through your naked damp body (Oooh err!), causing the trip.

Well, Mummy did say I had a vivid imagination!

Assuming a big crack across the resin casing/mould of a magnetic ballast is a bad thing, then the ballast is broken. I will take it back to B&Q where I bought it a month ago. Or should I just replace the ballast - because other than that its a cracking light!

Think I'll see whats available online. Would I need a specific ballast for a circular fluorescent lamp? Or would any 32 watt ballast do?

Physical size and shape will matter if you want to replace it in the same position, and check any rating written on it. But if it's that new I'd take it back to where it came from and ask for a replacement because it should have lasted longer than a month, even from B&Q .... :eek:

PJ

Take it back to B&Q and have a look around for something with a high frequency ballast in it.

Take it back to B&Q and have a look around for something with a high frequency ballast in it.
Trouble is, most of their lighting is made by Ring, and their ballasts are ****. This fitting I have has another brand on the ballast, not heard it before. Cant remember it.

An update!

New light fitted - very basic, a metal plate with a ceramic lampholder and glass shade.

But its still tripping. I cant understand this so i am getting my electrician back.

I have checked the switch and replaced it. And the light is wired correctly.

Can you carry out an Insulation resistance test to ensure the cables haven't been damaged?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back