Tanking basement wall with electric meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I'm planning on applying tanking slurry to a basement wall to make it an habitable environment. On one of the walls there is an electric meter, fuse box and Electricity Main Supply Cable (see image below). Building Regs have said that the wall behind the electricity meter needs to be tanked. Can this be done without having to remove the electric meter and fusebox etc? I'm hoping there's an alternative like something I can inject behind the chipboard they're attached to. The chipboard is dry as is the surrounding wall. I have enquired about the cost of lifting off the meter etc. to enable the application of slurry by the Main supplier (Power Network) and have been quoted £6000!! If there is an alternative please would someone advise. Thank you!!

Attachments

• meter.jpeg
    meter.jpeg
    86.9 KB · Views: 49
Sponsored Links
I'd invest in a screwdriver (to screw the board back on the wall if it accidentally fell off in the course of the work).

Hello, I'm planning on applying tanking slurry to a basement wall to make it an habitable environment. On one of the walls there is an electric meter, fuse box and Electricity Main Supply Cable (see image below). Building Regs have said that the wall behind the electricity meter needs to be tanked.

Then you'll need to remove the board to do so, i'd say. If you're not confident in doing this safely then call a qualified sparky to sort it out before proceeding further.

Sponsored Links
What does this figure include?

Do you own the whole house?

Is this the front wall facing the road?
This figure related to moving the whole unit and relocating - even just a few cm. They do not provide a service to just remove and then put back on. We own the whole house. the back wall is facing the front of the house, but there is a front garden.

Can't help on the meter, but tanking slurry doesn't make a habitable environment. You need to be looking at the measures set out in BS 8102. For retrofit this almost always means a drained cavity system.

This issue with tanking slurry is that water will always find a way through. Better to let it through and deal with it at that point.

the back wall is facing the front of the house, but there is a front garden.

Don't know what that means. :unsure:

Write to your electricity supplier and say you are considering having the meter moved to a cabinet on the exterior front wall. Mention that you are getting older and less agile. Ask if they would recommend that (they will)

Subsequently, discuss the cost.

When you say "make it a habitable environment", exactly how bad is it?
The picture only shows a small section of wall, so a few more pix may help discern the problem and an alternative to tanking could be found.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back