Tap leaking again with new cartridge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I replaced both cartridges to fix a dripping kitchen mixer tap and it was all good, for 6 months, but then it started leaking quite badly.

I then disassembled and checked the tap, put a thin smear of grease around the bottom gasket of the cartridge and tightened it back into the tap as much as I dare. I think the first time I probably did not tighten it quite enough to make a proper seal.

That put a stop to the the leaking and all was good, for another 3 months. Now it's dripping again, like every few seconds.

It does sometimes successfully turn off.

Only the cold is leaking.

It's a hard water area.

It's been suggested (by the supplier) to dismantle the cartridge and sandwich grease between the two ceramic discs.

The tap unit is an Abode Ludlow Bridge in Brass.

Any advice gratefully received. Thanks!

P1240488.JPG
P1240494.JPG
P1240499.JPG
P1240500.JPG
P1240501.JPG
ludlow-bridge-in-antique-bronze-at1031-25-1.jpg

Sponsored Links
Its the compression of the bottom (blue) washer on the ceramic discs that stops them leaking, (between the discs), if the cartridge isn't exactly the correct length then the cartridge may be fully tightened down and a drip soon occurs, you might feel a slightly higher resistance when opening/closing the tap with a new cartridge which is good.

Thanks, that makes sense.

There is currently little to no resistance when opening/closing the tap.

I wonder if the O-ring is perhaps a little too big (thick), or at least was when new.

I could try it without the black O-ring.

Any thoughts on adding grease between the ceramic discs?

Unfortunately I no longer have the original cartridges to compare but I'm pretty sure (like 100%) that I would have checked the new and old side by side. The cartridges were bought from The Tap Magician based upon their suggestion for that tap model.

Edit: I should mention also the hot tap works fine (albeit not mains pressure) and the valves were bought as a pair and replaced together.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I think the O ring just distorts until metal to metal contact between the cartridge top and the tap, just tighten it down gently without the O ring, if this increases the resistance then maybe some PTFE tape might prevent leakage from the cartridge top. The bottom washer should be a little proud of the cartridge base before tightening down but you can't do much about this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back