Tap Replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Hope you're well.
Please could you advise this amateur how to replace these tap handles?

Is it the top section that I somehow need to lever off to get to the screw or do I need to replace the whole thing?
Nothing wrong with them other than being so hard to turn on and off with soapy hands!

Any advice appreciated.
Many thanks,
Gem
IMG_4665.JPG
IMG_4664.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4666.JPG
    IMG_4666.JPG
    212.4 KB · Views: 55
Sponsored Links
1. The very top chromed part, above the three rings will come off to reveal a screw which you undo to remove the handle.
2. The top part will either unscrew or lever off:
2a. Try unscrewing it first as its less likely to cause damage. If it is stiff, try doing it with rubber gloves on. If still recalcitrant, pour very hot (but not boiling) water over it and try again immediately.
2b. If it levers off, try pulling it first, again using rubber gloves. As a last resort put a screwdriver between the top part and the ribbed part and try levering it. You should be able to put it back on slightly turned to hide any damage.
3. Doubt you'll get new handles for that tap that look the same. However you might get "tap revivers" which will do the job and be easier to turn.
4. The revivers include the actual tap mechanism so you will need to remove the works of the old taps after removing the handles. You will need an adjustable spanner to do this.
5. You taps may be either "quarter turn" (open to closed = 1/4 turn of the handle) or "traditional" (multiple turns open to closed). If you go for revivers, get the correct sort.
6. If you get the handles off and the works out, you may find dismantling and greasing is enough to make them work again. If you go down this route, use silicone grease, not ordinary grease or oil, which would damage the rubber seals over time.

Thank you SO much for the detailed reply!
Will give it a go and let you know how I get on.
Thanks again.. I was stumped!

1. The very top chromed part, above the three rings will come off to reveal a screw which you undo to remove the handle.
2. The top part will either unscrew or lever off:
2a. Try unscrewing it first as its less likely to cause damage. If it is stiff, try doing it with rubber gloves on. If still recalcitrant, pour very hot (but not boiling) water over it and try again immediately.
2b. If it levers off, try pulling it first, again using rubber gloves. As a last resort put a screwdriver between the top part and the ribbed part and try levering it. You should be able to put it back on slightly turned to hide any damage.
3. Doubt you'll get new handles for that tap that look the same. However you might get "tap revivers" which will do the job and be easier to turn.
4. The revivers include the actual tap mechanism so you will need to remove the works of the old taps after removing the handles. You will need an adjustable spanner to do this.
5. You taps may be either "quarter turn" (open to closed = 1/4 turn of the handle) or "traditional" (multiple turns open to closed). If you go for revivers, get the correct sort.
6. If you get the handles off and the works out, you may find dismantling and greasing is enough to make them work again. If you go down this route, use silicone grease, not ordinary grease or oil, which would damage the rubber seals over time.

Hi again,
thank you for the tips.. I go the tops off! hooray!
I don't want taps to look like this, I want ones like I used to have that have the kind of sticking out handles or traditional ones. It's not that they're stiff or anything it's the design of them that makes them hard to turn with soapy hands, literally no grip! So just need to know if when I unscrew I can take off just the top part and replace them and not the whole thing. Not sure though.
Thanks again for your help OldBuffer!
IMG_4762.JPG

Sponsored Links
I think your taps are the conventional screw down type ,that you have to make several revolutions to fully open/ close. You would need to change the valves and handles. Tap reviver kits are available to convert them

Thanks Terry.. yes think that sounds about right.
Probably a tougher job than I was hoping for!

Have a look at Screwfix item 20140.

If the handles fit onto the splines to which the originals are mounted, you could just use the handles - no wet work!

Thank you so much!
got those ones.. minimum effort and fuss.. didn't even have to change the valve!

Cheers again for your help, wouldn't have had a clue about reviver taps! :)
IMG_5107.JPG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back