terrestrial TV antenna

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So we getting some work done on the roof (block of 4 flat with share of the freehold)

And we been debating, should we keep the terrestrial TV antenna there or not?

How do we know if the antenna still work and provide signal?

Attachments

• 20240720_082549_resized.jpg
    20240720_082549_resized.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 37
Sponsored Links
If you don't use it remove it. If you can get a picture it works..

Disconnect and see if anyone complains.lol

I used a 9" dipole in the old house, Sellotaped to the window. Latter fitted a small aerial on the integral garage roof, but so much depends on where you live, old house I could see Moel-y-parc aerial and my problem was getting just Moel-y-parc, and not Winter Hill.

Here Moel-y-sant is about as good as a chocolate fireguard. So few channels, simply not worth the effort.

In the main we look in local shops, and the lowest gain is 8 db
1721484707876.png
so even if 4 would do, we still fit a larger than required aerial.

So I have skyQ, loads of channels, and still sit there watching YouTube. Is it really worth it? You can get meters, but mainly to help aim the aerial
1721485022437.png
⁣ the best idea is plugging a TV set in and see if it works.

Does anyone in the block watch free view?
I have an aerial - I have Netflix via the net but everything else relies on the roof aerial
How would you compensate a resident if you remove it?

Sponsored Links
Antenna / aerial : As said already if it works with Freeview TVs in the dwellings it needs retaining - ask the other residents / freeholders.
Unless all agree to dispense with it in a suitable recorded freeholders' meeting it may cause problems down the line with Leases and selling.

Log periodic antennas (as pictured by Eric) have a gain of circa 6dB referenced to a dipole (dBd). Unscrupulous marketing antenna makers quote a 2.15 dB higher number by referencing against a theoretical isotropic antenna which is pretty much mythical. https://www.aerialsandtv.com/knowledge/decibels#dbd-dbi-decibel

Is there a loft space?
It would be a lot cheaper in the long run to fit an aerial while the roof work scaff is up than having an aerial guy come later.

I don’t know the cost of communal aerials but it will likely be peanuts in comparison to a roof.

When we moved in 5 years ago previous owner had load of Sky stuff installed at great expense (you won't get good reception without it) he insisted. I knew better and bought a high gain aerial from Wickes for about £30. Transmitter is 25 miles away so I knew the signal would need amplification and bought a four way signal amplfier. Put both in the loft with the aerial pointing in the right direction and hey presto no more pricey Sky! The amplifiers are £25 -£35 thse days

Oh, I wish that @Eccles was nationwide, but free to air (satellite) far exceeds what even with commercial what freeview can offer. OK, Sky TV does offer more, but since that costs, we need to compare like with like, even then we have two systems to get satellite TV, the difference between the two, is the program guide. Freesat and Free to air get the same programs, but the Freesat has a better electronic program guide.

As said, I have used very basic aerials, as a radio amateur I had to study for my RAE and the knowledge gained has taught me how to make aerials. But I found when one transmits one can use a meter to tune the aerial much easier as to when one only receives. And also sometimes one gets unexpected results. Theory says it should not work, but it does. And also amplifying rubbish, one still gets rubbish.

So
the best idea is plugging a TV set in and see if it works.
All the training for my RAE, and that is still the best advice. If someone says I have plugged in my TV, and it does not work, then one looks at why, but it seems that is not the case?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back