That's new

JBR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've never seen anything like this before. Bonding the gate to the gate posts.
Or perhaps it's to stop the local tealeafs from nicking the gate.
IMG_20170719_114329.jpg

Sponsored Links
If the gate can swing closer to the transformer then it needs bonding it it's metal. They are worried about touch and step voltage due to the voltage gradients in the ground. If the gate is longer than a step it introduces an additional hazard.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
No, SS, I was joking about thieves nicking the gates, though knowing the sort of people not a million miles from here I wouldn't be at all surprised!

I can appreciate voltage gradients in the ground, but wouldn't these occur only in a lighting strike? In any event, I'm not sure I understand how bonding the gate to the gate-post could help.

Sponsored Links
Perhaps the bars in the gate act as the secondary of a transformer as it swings into the field created by the sub:rolleyes:

Surely the gate post should be bonded to earth in the sub station if they are worried.
Yes, I'd have thought so. Perhaps the metal strips on the gateposts, to which the gates are bonded, are themselves connected to earth. It's hard to tell, but is it possible that the metal strips extend down into the ground? Of course, it is to be hoped that they don't rust underground.

Actually, looking closely, I'm not sure that there isn't a black coloured cable running from the metal strip around the back of the gatepost. Perhaps that's a connection to earth.

The conductors are probably plastic coated aluminium. Bonding of gates, fences and just about anything else metal is done on transmitter sites, but for a different reason. I've not noticed it installed on substation sites before. Perhaps it's part of a lightning protection system?

Actually, looking closely, I'm not sure that there isn't a black coloured cable running from the metal strip around the back of the gatepost. Perhaps that's a connection to earth.
Yes, I didn't notice that.

Substations have everything bonded that's within the zone and the hv earth is basically a long conductor all the way round the perimeter of the substation, at the fence, with spikes at the corners. The operator would stand on a mesh mat which is also earthed if there's any doubt about the earthing. The lv earth is probably the same conductor, but might be a separate one outside the substation if the impedence is too high (the lv earth has be 10ohm if I remember right, the hv can be 20 and it's only there to stop people inside getting a shock)
Any long conductor in the vicinity is a danger because you might be inside the zone while touching it but it might be bonded outside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back