the joy of gas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Up at a chaps house this evening. He was extolling the joys of gas that was recently installed in his house. I looked at his meter and could find no main equip bond. I informed him that an earth was required. But am i right in saying only a NIC spark can do this?

Sponsored Links
Anybody can do this. Ideally a 'competent person' as defined in BS 7671, but NICEIC do not yet have a monopoly over electrical installation practice... as much as they'd like it. (Incidentally, there is a difference between equipotential bonding and earthing, but if you know that much you'll know what to do!)

thanks db...it was a NIC spark who told me this untruth - moron.

Sponsored Links
There are no, repeat, no jobs that can legally be done only by a NIC-spark. There are, however, some organisations such as local authorities, some charities and some insurance companies who insist on using NICEIC approved contractors.

But even following the introduction of the much-vaunted Part P of the Building Regulations there will still be no statutory qualification or membership required to trade as an electrician. (Although it will become increasingly difficult for unqualified electricians to operate.)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back