The Manx Missile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
News that Mark Cavendish has claimed a record 35th stage win in Le Tour '24 is amazing, considering he nearly missed the cut after stage one with heatstroke. Best of all, it will really annoy the Belgians who thought Merckx' record would never be beaten.

Sponsored Links
3806.jpg

#Legend.

Because Belgian supporters of Merckx have always been sniffy about Cavendish, saying he's only a sprinter and his stage wins were easier than the all-round ability of their hero who won on mountain stages, time trials, sprints and on a heavier bike in an age when doping was unknown. The thing is, Cavendish beat the record aged 39 - Merckx retired at 32 - in a sport where the average career is around 3 years and at a time when more pure sprinters were around to jostle for victory. It's not a place for faint hearts in the final km of a pro race and if you watch his record breaking ride you can see how he has to fight his way through on the inside, timing the cut across to take the lead at the perfect moment, ensuring he crossed the line ahead of everyone else. Cycling has always been a bigger deal on the continent and for an Englishman of all people to take Merckx' record will strike at the heart of any Belgian cyclist who worship their idol, fifty years after he won his last TdF. Maybe the new record will last even longer?

Sponsored Links
I must admit I have little interest in cycling but watching the news just now - wow! Last year was supposed to be his final year but he crashes and broke his shoulder so he put it forward to this year. This year he was pushing that hard that it showed his bike chain snapping as he crossed the line. A well deserved record holder. (y)

Is cycling a sport, or an endurance test of who can train longest on an exercise bike.
You can always buy one o' them Peloton bikes and do a virtual Tour or you can go round select stages on your own bike when they allow amateur's to take the opportunity to find out how good they really are. Have a crack at Alpe d'Huez to start off nice n' easy. :p

In the early days of cycle gps you could download some of the pros course tracks and race against them. I was half way round a tour of Britain stage when the gps pinged. Xxx has completed the stage.

These guys have vo2max’ in the 80s and can push 500w for over an hour. That’s enough for human powered flight.

I recall cheering the riders at the 2012 Olympics. The Iranian rider was about 10 mins behind the group and people were saying they could beat him easily. He was climbing box hill in 5 1/2 minutes having ridden 70km. Not even on my best day could I do that climb in under 6 1/2.

Any youngsters on the tour pressing to break the record after Cavendish? What are the number of wins for the next rider on the list (after Merks obviously)

Because Belgian supporters of Merckx have always been sniffy about Cavendish, saying he's only a sprinter and his stage wins were easier than the all-round ability of their hero who won on mountain stages, time trials, sprints and on a heavier bike in an age when doping was unknown.
Are you suggesting that Cavendish is still winning because of doping?

And FYI doping has been around since the tour began...

It was part of the regime but not found out/punished until proper testing was introduced...

And even then...

Merckx got caught at least three times, but was simply given a 'slap on the wrist' because of who he was...

Fausto Coppi (look him up) said that riders on the tour took drugs only when necessary. Asked "When would it be necessary?" he answered "Almost Always."

A curious fact about professional cyclists is the fact that a large segment of the peloton suffers from asthma. In fact, one study from UCSF estimated that half of Tour de France cyclists have the condition. How curious that at the same time asthma drugs are known to open up the airways and allow more o2 to get in to the blood. I wonder if that is a useful thing in a sport that is all about getting oxygenated blood to the muscles.

Doping is a thing in Cat 3, so I'm sure is still a thing in the tour.

Sponsored Links
Back