theatre-style light switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a customer - an infirm couple - with 8 candle lamps in their sitting room. Every time one of the candle lamps blows, the MCB trips. Changing the fittings is not an option.

I've tried replacing the MCB with a 6A type "C" and tried a couple of different manufacturers for the candle lamps, all with no improvement.

My multimeter shows that the supply is frequently towards the top end of the allowable voltage range.

I guess I could inspect and test the entire circuit then uprate it to 10A, but I'm wondering if changing the light switch might be a solution. Does anyone know of an easy-to-use switch that ramps up and down smoothly? And do such switches really fix the MCB trip problem or do they just extend lamp life a little?

Clearly touch switches and rotary dimmers are out. A standard MK white plastic switch is fitted at the moment.

--
Michael

Sponsored Links
use a 5A fuse

if the CU can take it fit one directly in the CU

if it can't then fit a large breaker (B32 or so) in the CU and run from here into a FCU to protect the cuircuit

theatres now (usually) use dmx to operate the lights, plugwash's idea although "Novel" would involve rewiring to get to the feed for the lights, i cant remeber where (may be this forum, but this post may jog a memory) some one mentioned "a box" that will ramp lamps on and off, but just now i cant think of it :cry:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back