Thermostat remote control compatibility

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
How to find compatibility remote control to my receiver Sunvic programmable, I lost my old one and I need to invest in new, but I'm not sure if I need to lookonly for same brand as sunvic or could I go and brought other one?
Can you help me with that please
I attached photo of receiver, the boiler is combi vaillant.
IMG_20240708_192015.jpg

Sponsored Links
I know some makes of remote changed the frequency used, they do not say why, I would assume they use a permitted frequency in the USA or Europe which was not permitted here in the UK. So even using one from the same manufacturer may not work.

I had problems with mother's house, IMGP8038.jpg I fitted two wireless systems one shown top of picture one bottom, the original shown here,
84067_P.jpg
was very good, it had a loss of RF signal safety device so if no signal in ½ hour it would auto turn off boiler, so with a discharged battery it failed safe. It also had a mark/space ratio, so it would start cycling the boiler on/off as it approached the target temperature, ideal with a non modulating boiler, but not what is wanted with a modulating boiler, and it had no programming functions.

This one IMGP8037.jpg seemed far better at first, it could be programmed, and also did not have the mark/space thing, so would allow the TRV to do its job, however it gradually over time lost the RF linking, and had to be placed closer and closer to the receiver to work, and had no fail-safe, so would start the boiler, then not turn it off again.

After this I decided, one did not want a battery powered unit if I could help it, and two if using RF wanted a two-way unit, basic idea is one confirms with other signal has been received.

I still got it wrong, I went with Nest Gen 3, only to find out after getting it, they had stopped supporting the linking with Energenie TRV heads, so now considering again using two thermostats in parallel, but as yet not made my mind up, Drayton Wiser, or Hive, the Drayton Wiser more expensive, but also it seems better.

The Horstmann thermostat shown it seems is sold under many names, I assume made in China and different labels used.

Normally you can’t mix and match receiver and thermostat brands, so unless you can find one of the same type, then whole new set required.

Sponsored Links
Yeah probably I will replace whole set receiver programmer with remote, do I need buy 3 wired or more receiver not less right?

Yeah probably I will replace whole set receiver programmer with remote, do I need buy 3 wired or more receiver not less right?
I’m not sure what you mean by 3 wired receiver, they’re usually powered by mains and have 2 switching wires, but some you can link a wire from live. Depends on how your existing is wired

Please see below
Yes, So Live, Neutral, Common (red link between Live and Live in) and switched Live (Live out). Plenty available for that scenario as most are similar. You only need single channel types.

Thats mean I will be able to connect this one hive thermostat?

Yes, Hive is fine. Would be L to L, N to N, link L to Common (1) and the other wire to Heating On (3)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back