Thermostatic Shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys.

I have just bought a new thermostic shower valve.
Cold water is supplied direct from the mains and I have a Worcester 28i Combi boiler for the hot water.

Will these two supplies be ok for the thermostatic valve? My mate (who knows nothing about plumbing) that using cold from the mains will be a problem.

Can someone advise?

Also - should both the inlets of hot and cold to this valve be 15mm (rather than 22mm on the hot)?

cheers

D

Sponsored Links
a combi boiler supplies hot water at mains pressure so you yes you should be ok.

the inlest should be the size of the fitting on the shower.

cheers Taydo.

It only concerns me because my hot water tap has OK pressure whereas the cold tap has really high pressure - as long as the thermo sorts this out then that is fine -

The instructions say "hot and cold flow rate need to be balanced to assure best working of divertor".

Sound ok?

Both inlets are 3/4" BSP so 15mm it is then.

D

pressure should be roughly the same, as the combi heats up water from cold water main. flow rate may be different though. should be ok still.

the shower you have bought is ok for high pressure systems isnt it?

Brian

Sponsored Links
I've just fitted one to a combi system and despite being roughly equal pressures the instructions had me fit a (supplied) flow limiter in the cold inlet. The shower works really well.

In fact the whole bathroom looks fabulous...... :D

I checked the water inlets last night - current hot water is 22mm all the way to existing bath, cold is 15mm most of the way and then expands to 22mm for the last metre or so.

Question: - the shower valve only states 3/4" BSP for the inlet - am I ok reducing the hot down to a 15mm inlet and cutting back the cold to the 15mm and extending to the new shower valve? I think the question is: is there any reason why hot/cold inlet should be 22mm over 15mm and does 3/4" BSP imply the use of 15mm pipe?

cheers

D

I'm not a qualified plumber but I suspect the existing pipework was put in before the combi. All the new combi systems I have worked on utilise only 15mm pipework as the flow doesnt require any more capacity. As long as you have followed all the other instructions I suspect you will be fine. Don't forget to flush the pipework before you connedt the new shower.

Bas

All went in fine - what do you mean by flush the pipework sorry?

Since I have installed it, all the pipes are making weird noises (especially the radiator ones). Am I just 'over sensitive' or do I need to do something else (ie air block etc)?

Ta

D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back