Thoughts on 2 rogue windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, we recently purchased a property ( Scotland) which had 1 door and 10 windows fitted in March 2023 for around £12k

The door and 9 windows all appear fine & all are the type that overlap the frame by around 5mm pic 1, however the 2 casement windows in the main lounge frame appear to be the wrong size for the frame and appear patched up as there is a 5mm underlap! on all sides, per the pictures.

Also none of the windows have trickle vents which I thought were a requirement since 2022.

Any thoughts, advice etc would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_2587.jpeg
    IMG_2587.jpeg
    460 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2589.jpeg
    IMG_2589.jpeg
    442.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2591.jpeg
    IMG_2591.jpeg
    590.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2606.jpeg
    IMG_2606.jpeg
    265.5 KB · Views: 26
Sponsored Links
however the 2 casement windows in the main lounge frame appear to be the wrong size for the frame and appear patched up as there is a 5mm underlap! on all sides, per the pictures.
they must be flush fitting windows not stormproof -you have 2 different styles of windows probably fitted at different times

if the brush seal weather strip is held in a groove in the sash stiles and rails then the windows are not patched up but intended like that

trickle vents: they werent necessary on replacement windows (depending on what they were replacing) but they are necessary nowadays...but the customers might have said they didnt want them....they do let noise in

Many thanks for the response. Fortunately the previous (elderly) owners, kept all paperwork and all 10 windows were fitted at the same time.

I’m unsure why there would be a different style as there is a window to the left which is the same style as the others.

With trickle vents, I thought it was a legal requirement since 2022 whether it was their preference or not. The Home Report picked up damp/moisture issues which I assume was caused by the lack of trickle vents/airflow.

Why can't you retro-fit the trickle vents?

Not difficult to do. You simply drills series of holes and then put the vents over the slot.

Sponsored Links
That was my thinking, but I was unsure why these had not been fitted at the original installation as, from what I understand, this is a requirement rather than an option since 2022 and why 1 window would be fitted which have open gaps big enough to see the inside all around, ( not covered up by the brush fittings, rather than similar style to the other 9.

Been doing a wee bit of research and as far as I can see, trickle vents should have been installed whether the previous owners wanted them or not as there’s no other air flow option in the property.

The two rogue windows definetly look like Flush Sash casements but there does seem to be some gaps.
Trickle vents are not actually mandatory anywhere BUT legally there has to be some form of background ventilation ( Trickle vents are the easiest and cheapest way of achieving this ) but it could be airbricks, a PIV system or an MHEV system, or you could be in a conservation area where the local authority building control could insist on no Trickle vents ( they usually do insist on NOT fitting them in Conservation areas ) .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back