Through lounge second opinion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I wanted to get a second opinion on a through lounge I am planning on expanding (A small one already exists, but want to make it full length 3.6m span).

My structural engineer has given be some plans, one side the beam will be resting on a plate in the party wall and on the other side he has recommended a steel post.

My question is on the steel post side - since on that side I already have a brick wall the steel beam can rest on, he hasn't really justified why the steel post is required

Just wanted to see if anyone can help, confirm that the steel post is definitely required - or that resting the beam on the brick wall (ableit supported by a plate or pad etc) will suffice?

(Note I am also putting a cranked steel alongside the party wall in the first floor to support the chimney stack in the loft. Also you can ignore beam B3 in the plans since that was confirmed a non load bearing wall)

Attachments

• Acrobat_67Y4AQDNmn.png
    Acrobat_67Y4AQDNmn.png
    651.8 KB · Views: 26
Sponsored Links
It looks to me like there's almost no wall on that side, it's on a corner in one direction and a short stub in the other. Whereas on the party wall side there's a straight expanse of wall to each side.

The weight spreads outwards as well as downwards, where there's next to nothing it needs the post.

Thanks both. I will open up the floor boards and check the foundation that wall has and circle back. As far as I know it's just bricked down to the ground

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back