Tiles falling off the wall

• Thread starter Deleted member 317033
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 317033

Hi all, I just wondered if anyone could give me some insight into a problem I am having. We have had an extension built which includes a wet room. It is for a disabled person so we had some grab rails installed on the tiles around the shower. After using them a couple of times the tiles started to come away from the wall and I eventually had to take a few of them off as they were so loose. Is it just a case that there isn't enough adhesive on them or are the other problems I should be looking for too?

Thanks.
1000024334.jpg
1000024880.jpg
1000024910.jpg
1000024913.jpg
1000024959.jpg

Sponsored Links
Badly tiled in the first place. It looks like they were dot and dabbed onto a painted wall. Adhesive looks like the pre mixed stuff which cures with oxygen and not a cement based powder adhesive.

I'd say looking at how little adhesive is on the tiles and wall you could probably clean them all up, prep the wall by removing the paint, priming correctly and retiring with a good powdered adhesive. Use a bed of adhesive and back butter the tiles.

Also consider if the correct screw rawlplugs were used? Is it a partition wall, have the correct sized holes been used if it is bricks, as the screws just pulled out.

It is a partition wall but they are also coming loose all along the newly built brick wall too.

Sponsored Links
OP,
The backing appears to be badly installed painted plasterboard - why not consider replacing the p/b with 12mm Hardie type backer board?
In any wet areas P/B has not been used by pro tilers for many years.
Mark where the studs are in the partition, and fix the rails into the studs - perhaps add ply backing between the studs.
While you are at it check how secure the enclosure fixings are?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back