Tiling a three-sided shower enclosure, tray to ceiling, correct use of battens?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm set to tile a 3-sided enclosure, approx 1300x800. I've found the centre of the 1300 wall and top and bottom, left and right leave me with a good chunk of tile in the cuts (no slivers). The tray is fairly level but I can't guarantee it's perfect for tiling from so I'm tempted to try timber battens. I've done a fair bit of tiling but mainly floors and never used battens before.

I'm using 150x300 tiles, laid horizontally in a brick-block pattern. To me this makes the use of a vertical batten more of a pain so I'm tempted to use only a horizontal batten. Should this be fixed to the wall down low, just above what will be the first (cut) row on top of the shower tray? Or are others starting battens at some other point on the wall and, if so, why?

Sponsored Links
I've done exactly what you proposing I believe, when doing a two sided enclosure. Horizontal batten spaced so this is essentially my second row of tiles. Positioning was based on dry laying them out (just on the floor, with spacers I'd be using) and making sure I would end up with even height tile cuts on the first row, and at the top i.e. ceiling. That way I could ensure that the batten was perfectly level even if the shower tray was very slightly out.

Attachments

• IMG_2243.JPG
    IMG_2243.JPG
    240.5 KB · Views: 41
This is how I tile off a batten which avoids puncturing the tanking
Using shims lets you level it spot on
1719145728669.jpeg

1719145307020.jpeg

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back