Tiling new wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please help

Just about to tile my bathroom and i need some advice.

The walls are new plasterboard and have been skimmed about a month ago. 2 weeks ago i have applied some B&Q new plastered wall paint. The tiles are porcelin 600 x 300. I have got a cement based white adhesive with a porcel bond. Any tips on making sure these tiles dont go any where for years to come!!!

Cheers in advance!

Dale :D

Sponsored Links
Firstly you shouldn't have skimmed the walls as bare plasterboard is better to tile onto.

Second you should not have painted the plaster as this will reduce the bond even further.

What does 1m2 of your tiles weigh as with a painted skimmed wall you are probably looking at 15kg max including the weight of the adhesive.

Ideally you should replace with new plasterboard but I doubt you will do that so you need to test the bond of the paint. Do this by firmly pressing strips of duct/gaffa/carpet tape to the wall in several places, peel the tape off after 20mins, if it brings the paint off you will have to strip all the paint off.

What BAL adhesive is it you are intending to use? CTF3/Single part flexi/mosaic fix, can advise further once I know what it is.

Jason

Thanks for that. Some of the paint is comming off with tape so ive started stripping the paint off :mad: !!

Does the wall have to be totally free of paint or are small sections ok as long as there is more plaster showing???

Cheers

If you cant physically scrape it off then it will be OK

Jason

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back