Tiling on to poor wall surface?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I've removed all of the tiles in the bathroom of our old, Victorian property.
Some areas, large swathes of plaster have come off; other areas, the remaining plaster is very powdery and others some bits seem to be rock solid, cement-based.
What is the best thing to do, moving forward before re-tiling?
I was thinking to Hardi-backer over the whole lot, using mechanical fixings and spacers in the areas where the plaster is missing. Apart from the cost (not really a problem if it's the only solution), it will leave me with a step where I go from areas of new tiling, to areas where I'm keeping the original surface painted.
Also, the opposite wall to the bath and the wall under the window (see pics) was previously tiled half-way up. We plan to not re-tile these walls. But similarly, the wall is a right mess where the tiles have been removed. The remaining plaster is very thick. Do I board the lower section and then have a plasterer skim and feather-in? Is this doable? Or would he likely board over the whole lot and skim it anyway?
What do you think?
Thanks

Attachments

• 20240628_155529.jpg
    20240628_155529.jpg
    267.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 20240703_084514.jpg
    20240703_084514.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 40
  • 20240703_084541.jpg
    20240703_084541.jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 40
Sponsored Links
Use bonding yourself to level out then tile backer board over. Elements board.
Tile and plaster skim over

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back