Tiling onto boxing in…

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have tiled my downstairs WC using 600x300 porcelain tiles. I have some pipe work at low level that I need to box in then tile to match.

The boxing will be about1800mm long 200mm high and 70mm from the face of the wall.

Is it ok to use p5 for the boxing with 2x2 inside to support the 90º joint. Then tile onto it? I know p5 is controversial but as it’s well supported and not bearing any loads hoping it should be ok. Also it’s just a WC so no particularly wet areas.

Also should I still be using a tile adhesive or could I use some hybrid sealant instead to bond the tiles on to the boxing?

Any input appreciated

Sponsored Links
Years ago I seen metal lath screwed to boxing with wedi washers then tiled

Don't forget to make it so the piping (if it has joints in it) can be accessed if there is a leak.

Sponsored Links
@foxhole P5 = I should’ve said but was being lazy with the typing. I mean the green t&g chipboard used for flooring approx 600x2400

@mattylad I’m planning to make it removable. There will be a couple of joints in there so planning to make it to pull out in future and then just silicone it in place with a thin bead I can remove when needed.

Mdf is ideal , no baton required for corner, and takes tiles . I never bother with access , your pipes don’t just leak from joints and if you have a leak the first thing you will notice is the timber warped and destroyed so would need replacing any way .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back