Tiling onto old plywood small area

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There

We live in a Victorian house and one of the bathroom walls where the front of bath is installed is up against a DIY cupboard (boiler).
The old tiles on this wall (maybe 40 years old) have been tiled onto a pice of plywood with a bit of pva on top. Plywood in perfect condition. Never been any cracks.
The cupboard wall is 190 cm x 70 cm and I want to retile the area.

I don't want to cut corners but at the same time don't want to do something which isn't necessary.

Any suggestions which option might be best:

tile on existing plywood?
Put 6 mm cement backer board on top of plywood then tile?
Rip the plywood out and put a 12 mm backer board up instead?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Your money, your time. Any of those options could be fine.

The cost of 12mm backer board isn't much greater than 6mm.

If this section is behind the bath or will be exposed to water splashing from a shower etc, consider using a tanking kit. If not, at least use a non porous grout.

I have thin ply on the wall behind my shower, been fine for years, I can only assume that waterproof tile adhesive and grout was used. Although I'll be using cement board and tanking when I get round to redoing it.

Your money, your time. Any of those options could be fine.

The cost of 12mm backer board isn't much greater than 6mm.

If this section is behind the bath or will be exposed to water splashing from a shower etc, consider using a tanking kit. If not, at least use a non porous grout.

I have thin ply on the wall behind my shower, been fine for years, I can only assume that waterproof tile adhesive and grout was used. Although I'll be using cement board and tanking when I get round to redoing it.
Thanks for info, much appreciated.

The section to be tiled is just behind the single ended bath taps so water will be splashing. Think it may be worth buying a few cement boards
just to be on safe side. Would be a major bummer if my first ever diy tiling job doesn't go well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back