Tips on getting old nails out of wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,

Took on what I thought would be an easy job Saturday, pulling off an old picture rail from the wall. Bit of a mess created for the plasterer, but took me 5x longer thanks to the old nails. Not sure specifically what kind they are, but they look most like what I’d expect to see the floorboards fixed down with. Every so often one would come out with the rail, but for the most part they were so tight in to the brickwork and plaster they’d rip out of the wood. Anybody got any tips on getting these out? I’ve tried using the rail remover on the hammer and pry bar, and pulling with pliers. Got a few out but mostly just pulling the heads out after A LOT of huffing and puffing.

Sponsored Links
Not a bad idea knocking them in! So far all the ones where the head has snapped off have snapped below the level of the plaster. When the heads don’t snap off they’re protruding so far I’m not sure I’d be able to knock them in deep enough.

Sponsored Links
One swift whack with a hammer will get them below the surface and then just fill and smooth over - you’re going to have to fill and smooth over the hole if you removed them anyway.

Grind the heads off flush or just below the surface with a multi tool. If they were set in mortar they will be probably as difficult to drive in as to pry out.

If they're square cut nails I found getting them in the claw of a claw hammer and twisting them was enough to snap them flush most of the time,

Most effective I’ve found is a few hits sideways either way with a hammer then pull and wiggle with some pliers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back