Toaster fire: user or appliance at fault?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My tenant's toaster started a fire (contained to the area it was situated).

How common are genuine faults in these appliances that can lead to them creating a fire?

The tenant did tell me that she first put the toaster on its side to put the toast in (can anyone explain why one would do that?) and allegedly put it back upright and turned it on. It then started burning. My theory is that crumbs reached the heating element and stayed there even when upright. I read people place toasters on its side to make cheese on toast but she claims she did not operate it sideways.

I will look at the remains of the toaster tomorrow (I have photos if anyone wants to see). Is there anything I can easily check to see what the cause could be without using a forensic expert?

Sponsored Links
Your theory is most probably correct. There is nothing in a clean toaster to catch fire. It is only the crumbs that are flammable. It my case the crumbs are first noticed when the RCD trips.

Even moist cheese isn't that conductive, maybe a knife was used to clean out the crumbs and bent the heating element causing a short. A new toaster isnt that expensive, so it would be cheaper than a diagnostic service. Give 3m the cheapest you can find

Your theory is most probably correct. There is nothing in a clean toaster to catch fire. It is only the crumbs that are flammable. It my case the crumbs are first noticed when the RCD trips.
Thanks. To give the tenant the benefit of the doubt/explore other possibilities, if it was to be an electrical/wear and tear fault do you know what could cause a flame/fire to be created?

Sponsored Links
There isn't a lot that can go wrong with a toaster, there are electronic control components, and a mechanical issue could jam the release down causing overheating.
Seeing where the seat of the fire is, may give you a clue as to what happened - post some pictures.
Also, did any of the kitchen electrics trip during the fire?

If you were interested, here's a bit about how toasters work (although it's American, it is mostly relevant!)...

So basically it's the user's fault? Trying to decide if I should get a forensic expert involved if the tenant refuses to pay for the damage.
@Harry Bloomfield I think hes worried about the damage the fire has caused to the countertop and the kitchen units that he would have to replace, rather than the tennant's own toaster

I'm not sure you'd have to go that far, just put a reasonable argument across to the Deposit protection scheme.

You could ask her why when it started smoking that she didn't switch it off, if the answer is along the lines of that she didnt see because she was elsewhere in the house, then you'll probably find a line in the manufacturer's instructions warning that the appliance shouldnt be left unattended in use.

my thoughts
you cannot blame them directly in my opinion
but to try and remove the possibility in future if they still have the toaster you may get clues
i would expect the metal protection grills would be displaced towards the element on the side taking the weight off the bread and what would be the top surface [one side]would take all the additional heat as heat rises so may be discoloured
also the bottom side may be caked in burnt residue and the top side nothing as gravity does its job

then you can point theses things out and explain they are signs and next time it wont be the same forgiving outcome as its a problem they caused

Last edited:
I we look at a typical toaster instructions it says
1728209164917.png

This set of instructions if followed may not stop a fire, but it would reduce any damage caused by a fire. However with Welsh rarebit, I have to prepare the cheese and I will place two slices of bread in one slot so toasted on one side, and turn on grill to warm up, while grating cheese and adding the egg and mustard, so to be fair not hovering over the toaster so may not see if it goes on fire straight away.

So although instructions say "watch it while it's hot" I would say reasonable if using an automated to use the automated feature, and expect the toaster to auto turn off, what is the point in automation if you don't use it, so I would say likely classed as an accident.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back