Toilet blockage - solution or new toilet required?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got quite an old toilet, at least 20yrs+ old maybe in property before I moved in.

Has worked fine until last couple of months. I may have put too much toilet paper in & that's caused the blockage.

Have used various options like washing up liquid then hot water. Works temporarily but still get the issue. Have cleared any excess paper & poo but still no solution. Don't have a plunger.

Will it be better to just get a new more modern toilet plumbed in or can the existing one be saved?

I'll be renovating the bathroom anyway but not until 2025 at earliest.

Sponsored Links
Buy a plunger!

Andy

Empty all the water out and pour down a bottle of Spirit of Salts (read the instructions, safety glasses, ventilate room etc.)

The first time I did this, it dislodged a huge chunk of limescale which had built up up inside the bend, have had far fewer issues since.

Sponsored Links
Spirit of Salts
Very dangerous stuff. Try all mechanical methods first. If you do use any chemicals and they don't work, be sure to warn anyone who looks at it subsequently and tell them what you have used.
Also, don't mix chemicals. This can lead to reactions producing heat and poisonous gasses such as chlorine.

Also, don't mix chemicals. This can lead to reactions producing heat and poisonous gasses such as chlorine.
My mate had a slow draining shower so he bought some stuff to pour down it. His wife had the same idea. Neither of them told the other. She put her stuff down and went to bed. He came home from the pub and put his stuff down. Immediately a cloud of gas came up and nearly knocked him out. His wife had to get an ambulance and they took him to hospital and kept him on oxygen for the night. Could have been nasty if his wife hadn’t woke up and heard him coughing and gasping for breath.

I use Kilrock.
Pour in a kettle of hot water, then the measured amount of kilrock and leave for an hour or so. Give a good, a VERY good scrub and plunging motion with the loo-brush and this should loosen and wash-away any limescale build-up.
In the past, I have also been on my hands and knees and, using a small screwdriver, 'chiselled' the deposits off as far as I can around the bend. Messy, but seems to work.

You're condemning the Pan, when it may not even be the issue! What the pipework arrangement off the back of the outlet like? Possible the issue lies here, and not in the outlet to the pan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back