Toilet filler valves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I just bought a filler valve from screwfix and the 'spout where the water should come out is blocked off by design. The cistern only fills up very slowly, seemingly seeping out of the top.
Have they changed the design in an effort to save water?

Sponsored Links
Quiet fill with pipe or something where water comes out?
Should not effect the filling.

You mains water pressure or is cold water coming from tank so low pressure.
Some inlet valves have insert which is removed if gravity fed to allow water through faster.

Need more information.

Thanks Wayners,
Think it may be a case of low pressure. Yes, gravity fed. Took hose off filler valve and it seems low. Can I get a low pressure filler valve?

Hi again, first pic shows a filter which was easily removed but removal didn't seem to cause any increase in the flow. Third pic shows why possibly. There is some kind of plastic restrictor in the pipe leading to the valve. This wont budge. Maybe I could drill it out? What do you think?
20241017_114611.jpg
20241017_114629.jpg
20241017_114700.jpg

Sponsored Links
20241017_115744.jpg

Or maybe I'd be better off drilling this pin hole widening it to give a greater flow? Maybe the valve would stop working if I did?

Drilled pinhole.
Takes a while to fill up but not very noisy and the valve seems to shut off nicely.
Is there a low pressure option. I seem to remember there not being pinholes in previous fillervalves I've fitted. Indeed the one I took off had a much larger guage water feed.

Widening the pinhole seems to have been the solution. Takes a couple of mins to fill up to 6 ltrs but the valve shuts completely when full. Tried a few flush cycles and all seems fine.
I wonder if the reduced bore size is part of an ecologically driven agenda to save water by making cisterns take longer to fill up thereby stopping folk from 'multiple flushing'....or is that just me being a conspiricist?

I wonder if the reduced bore size is part of an ecologically driven agenda to save water by making cisterns take longer to fill up thereby stopping folk from 'multiple flushing'....or is that just me being a conspiricist?

Yep, I'm with you on that.

Luton used to be my haunting ground, every wed/thurs, up to the Coloseum in Luton and Cinderella's in Dunstable.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back