tough one

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can anyone help me please .im needing to put a new light in the ceiling.ive got 3 grey wire sticking out of the ceiling .how do i identify which is which.ive got one wire that is live and the other 2 are dead...i know one is the switch and one is the wire going to the other room....i have one of those testers where you touch the end with your thumb and it shows the live wire...ok where does the wires go..any help or some form of a pic would help a lot.. just the switched wire has no red sleve on it so im stuck..thanks monty

Sponsored Links
The tester you have will be no help here, purchase a multimeter

Use continuity/resistance setting, with the power off, hold the multimeter probes onto each of the three cables in turn, get a helper to flick the switch back and forth a few times, when you have got the multimeter on the switch cable, it will read low resistance when the switch is closed, infinate resistnace (usually just displays digit 1) when the switch is open

the fact you have identified the 3 cables does help, now all you have to do is to discover that as mentioned there is a for refernce section

Sponsored Links
:idea:
This may help and i had a simular experience.

I had slightly thicker than normal grey wires in a wall socket (Not the big grey that holds all three) and I found that if you gentle split the end of the grey sleeve the coloured sleeve was underneath this grey sleeve.

Yeah, but don't be fooled by the colours. Whoever wired it might just have used what was available and it's common to use black as the switched live; it should be sleeved in red, but more often than not it won't be.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back