Toyota 12v battery

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a new Yaris hybrid and have been advised to keep the 12v battery charged. I have bought an AA branded solar panel which plugs into the OBD port but I've also read that putting it into 'Ready' mode and leaving it for an hour is just as good. Can that really be an option? Why do I have to do this anyway on a brand new car?

Sponsored Links
I have the same vehicle, and the battery is good for two weeks standing, but not three.....no warning as to the battery condition is given either, the thing just won’t start!
The security system is to blame for the battery drain. I now try to use the car every week or ten days.
Can you enlighten me what you mean by the Ready mode please?
John

I have a new Yaris hybrid and have been advised to keep the 12v battery charged. I have bought an AA branded solar panel which plugs into the OBD port but I've also read that putting it into 'Ready' mode and leaving it for an hour is just as good. Can that really be an option? Why do I have to do this anyway on a brand new car?
Have you asked the dealers ?

Press the start button and the car is in Ready mode = ready to be driven. There's no engine noise as it uses the electric battery to move off (usually). It's always in Ready mode when driving and swaps between petrol and electric power. By having it in Ready mode on the drive for an hour, the electric battery charges the 12v one. The petrol engine kicks in to top up the electric battery from time to time, but only stays on for a minute or two about 3 or 4 times. Every time you're at lights for example, the hybrid battery charges the 12v one so it's like an hour of being at the lights. You need to stay with the car of course (with no radio/ac etc. on), so best to be working in the garden or on a chair with a book.

Sponsored Links
The manufacturer has said that it needs to be driven regularly to avoid this issue and ideally left in ready mode for up to an hour once a week, not left unattended of course. I suppose it's a whole new world having a hybrid vehicle. There is a question as to whether or not the 12v battery in these vehicles is powerful enough as it doesn't need to crank the engine and there's no alternator to recharge it, so it relies on the electric battery for its charge.

Press the start button and the car is in Ready mode = ready to be driven. There's no engine noise as it uses the electric battery to move off (usually). It's always in Ready mode when driving and swaps between petrol and electric power. By having it in Ready mode on the drive for an hour, the electric battery charges the 12v one. The petrol engine kicks in to top up the electric battery from time to time, but only stays on for a minute or two about 3 or 4 times. Every time you're at lights for example, the hybrid battery charges the 12v one so it's like an hour of being at the lights. You need to stay with the car of course (with no radio/ac etc. on), so best to be working in the garden or on a chair with a book.
That's interesting....wise guy me didn't read the handbook but the last time the battery was flat I don't think the 'Ready' sign was there - I charged the thing up by connecting my smart charger to the post in the fuse box.
Anyway, mine is an AWD, 72 plate with 8k miles - 59 MPG average.
Could you please post a link to your AA approved solar unit? Cheers!
John :)

If you google AA solar battery charger you will find lots of videos and reviews. It's milky sunshine this morning but the charger test light shows full charge. I angle it with a small book so that it's directly facing the rising sun and then if I'm around during the day I shift it slightly so that it's more facing south west, but that's just me being obsessive - not really necessary.

I put it on most days when the car isn't being used. Very easy if your EOBD port is fairly accessible. There is a connector for the ciggy lighter socket, but that's dead when the ignition is off so not much use. By the way, I'm not sure that the jump start terminal in the fuse/relay board can be used for charging - I think it's just for jumping, but you'd need to check.

Last edited:
Many thanks for the link - it could be a good investment (I have garden tractors on hire in places where there is no electricity so that could be useful too when the things aren't used.)
I haven't found the OBD socket yet, but the terminal within the fuse box can be used for jumping or charging.
John :)

The EOBD socket will be above your right knee under the steering wheel. You need to bend sideways and under and you'll see the white socket. That's the position in the new Yaris, but I doubt there's much difference.

Sponsored Links
Back