Trailer lock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I often have to park my car + trailer and leave it unattended. Sometimes it’s only for a minute or two, but sometimes longer. Can anyone recommend a lock that will prevent anyone from detaching my trailer and making off with it? It seems like there are lots of hitch locks for detached trailers but it seems harder to find something robust that can be used without having to unhitch the trailer.

Thanks in advance!

Nick

Sponsored Links
I thought most hitches had provision for fitting a padlock, unless yours isn't a standard hitch. Doesn't help a lot if they take the car as well though.

Peter

Yeah I think you’re right, it’s non-standard so no place for a padlock unfortunately. It’s a Conway trailer so not just something I’ve cobbled together though so I can’t be the only one with this problem :confused:

Most hitches have a hitchlock which locks the release mechanism, ie making it impossible to detach or attach a tow ball to them - so they'll work whether hitched to a car or not.

If your hitch doesn't have one, then a practical suggestion is to look at some hitches which do, and modify yours to make a lock for it. Or to add metalwork around it which could be locked into place and removed, to do a similar job. Or to change the hitch (expensive though).

Sponsored Links
This looks like the way forward - I reckon I can fabricate something chunky enough to deter thieves but easy enough for me to unlock and remove.

Cheers,

Nick

This looks like the way forward - I reckon I can fabricate something chunky enough to deter thieves but easy enough for me to unlock and remove.

Cheers,

Nick

I use an alarm padlock on anything unattended.Lock it on anywhere and vibration sets it off, it can be left locked on in un-alarmed mode when you don't need it.

Back