Tricky ceiling fan system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.
I hope someone will be able to help as i am only a basic but eager-to-learn DIYist.

I am wishing to instal a ceiling fan in the master bedroom using the existing light fitting. this is a single 1 gang switch and light using a junction box.

i would like to operate the lights of the fan using a remote control (which i know are available) and a dimmer switch. (and obviously the different speed settings with the remote).

I haven\\\'t bought anything yet because i\\\'m not sure whether this is all possible? Is some form of 2 way wiring required?? i can\\\'t see how 2 way switching can connect with the remote control???

Thanks to you all for so much accessible information

Mark

PS couldn\\\'t find anything on this before so hope repeated request! :)

Sponsored Links
i think you may have missed my point :eek:
I was wondering how 2 way switching could be compatible with a remote control for operating the lights of the fan, whilst retaining full remote operation for the fan.

i was thinking that the receiver would require it's own live feed for the fan operation and another for the lightening which would have the dimmer switch wired in. but doesn't this depend on the receiver having 2 sets of wires? And more importantly, short of taking the receiver apart, how can it be made to work on 2 way switching, just for the lights?

hope you catch my drift.

If you can find anything on the net re this particular topic then you are a star, as i can't find smash hits. :D

Sponsored Links
Well - picking one manufacturer at random (i.e. the first one thrown up by the search), and looking at the various wiring diagrams here http://www.fantasia-fans.co.uk/technical.wiring.php , my guess would be that you could control the lights from 2-way switches in the normal way and the fan by the remote, but you'd need to check with the manufacturer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back