true or not

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i found this and wondered if anyone else had heard anything.

Just in case anyone is unaware, the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister have been busy again.

From the 1st January 2005 it will be illegal to do any electrical work in your own home and will be a criminal offence. All work will have to be carried out by electricians certified to Part P of the building regs, or the work will have to be inspected by ... the local council (minimum fee for one socket about £40)

There are certain omissions but as electricians who have been doing it for years will still have to pay an annual fee of about £450 for accreditation all the prices will go up. If you need something done it may be worth doing it now.

aesp

Sponsored Links
Yes we all know. Try searching.

Where did you get £40 from?

Has anyone been given figures from their local BC yet.

Most BC fees are based on the material costs of the job.

Anyone know differently?

BC fees seem to vary a bit from area to area. Some have minimum of 50 quid +VAT others more.

The fees are based on the professional cost of doing something and some areas seem to want you to waste a professionals time getting a free quote :eek: . A right cheek if you ask me. Also, since they include materials then if the cost for inspecting a wall say would depending on whether commons or real stone was being used. Not fair IMO. Standard jobs, houses, car ports, etc., are a fixed price or priced by area.

I was careful to specify my DIY oil tank installation as being the construction of a wall and base for oil tank installation. That was my professional costs. The oil tank was free issue to this mythical professional by the householder. Having said that they didn't query the fee I submitted so I think they apply a bit of common sense and even with the oil tank I would have been under the lowest limit, 1000, just not as much as my "estimate".

Sponsored Links
well brown-nought ,pardon me for posting.
will not bother in future if all are as rude as you.

Part P nearly happened jan 2004, so people have been talking about this for years.

Fees seem likely to be rather more than £40, or £450 for registrations. Add an extra digit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back