TV license...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
bloody ripoff..
might as well just make the BBC channels a subscription service..

it says that if I watch or record live television, even on a computer... then i need a license..

but what if I own a 40inch LCD tv, and only use it for dvd, games console and computer monitor and download my favourite shows from america..
do i need one then just because it's capable of recieving tv..? even if I don't own an aerial or satelite box etc?

Sponsored Links
yes you must have one.
Its so people like J. Ross can be overpaid for one days work a week

you can have a tv and not pay the fee, it's fine.
My mate does just that. He only watches dvds and vids etc...

He told the tv license people and they were fine with it, once they'd convinced themselves that he was genuine.

Sponsored Links
And if your radio can be heard outside the confines of your place no doubt the Performing Rights Society will want their cut on top of the radio license fee? :eek:

He told the tv license people and they were fine with it, once they'd convinced themselves that he was genuine.

I do not believe that

I do not believe that

i didn't believe it either until i read the following

You don't need a licence if you don't use any of these devices to watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV - for example, if you use your TV only to watch DVDs or play video games, or you only watch programmes on your computer after they have been shown on TV. If this is the case, please let us know, as this helps us to keep our database up to date and means you won't receive the standard letters we send to unlicensed addresses.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/what-if-a-tv-licence-is-not-needed-top12/

bloody ripoff..
might as well just make the BBC channels a subscription service..

it says that if I watch or record live television, even on a computer... then i need a license..

but what if I own a 40inch LCD tv, and only use it for dvd, games console and computer monitor and download my favourite shows from america..
do i need one then just because it's capable of recieving tv..? even if I don't own an aerial or satelite box etc?
Thought that if you're unemployed you get this for free, or subsidised. Is that not the case?

Thousands of Goverment offices have TVs for showing videos etc, they do not require a licence.

This is why you can do the same. :LOL:

Thousands of Goverment offices have TVs for showing videos etc, they do not require a licence.

This is why you can do the same. :LOL:
Not sure, but I would think if you ever needed to proove it, showing that the channels are not tuned in would help.

Our shops all have TVs which are capable of recieving transmissions, but we only use them for playing DVDs. When they were issued, head office sent instruction not to tune them in (if they could without an aerial), and only start them in DVD mode.

Having worked for them if i felt the money was being used wisely for programme making instead of hairbrained schemes and huge wages for some then id be happy to pay the licence.......I for one am definitely not happy paying it!!

Get your self a monitor rather than a tv with no inbuilt receiver can help your case substantially when they come knocking. ;)

Sponsored Links
Back