Twin slot shelving shoot-out?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Has anyone recently compared the various twin slot shelving systems that are easily available?

I'm wanting to put up a fair amount of shelving and was shocked to see that the quality of twin slot uprights readily available from Toolstation/Screwfix has decreased, certainly so that some old Spur brackets will no longer insert when the upright is fixed to the wall.
The uprights' profiles are now made from thinner metal and the profile has reduced to about 12mm thick from about 16mm. I'm not sure how much this affects the load bearing capacity, not least if I have to grind down old brackets to fit. Annoyingly none of the product specifications ever mention the profile thickness so it is left to discover after purchase.

Toolstation stock 'XTrade' - with grooves at the front running along the length and about 12mm thick. Also Rothley (no idea of thickness) but that's delivery only, in upright & bracket packs and £9 collection fee if it's no good.

Screwfix do 'RB UK' (also with grooves at the front running along the length and 12mm thick - though I'm sure it was thicker in the past and without the long grooves and small notches by each slot). Also a cheaper version 'RB UK Antibacterial' (for medical installations?) so I can't imagine that being any better.

B&Q do 'Form Twinny' (apparently 12mm deep) in store.

The original Spur system seems to be mail order only (£19+VAT).
Are the cheaper ones OK if I use more uprights or do I bite the bullet with an online order and hope I get it correct first time? I suppose it's cheaper than Vitsoe 606.

Sponsored Links
The old Spur shelf brackets never fitted other manufacturers wall brackets , you need the buy all same system. Though if you tap brackets with a hammer when installing you can get them in .
Have used all without any problem, the thinner wall brackets compensate by having more screw positions than Spur .
Screwfix seem to be cheapest option .

Tx for the advice. I found the XTrade uprights had the same number of holes as the old Spur
(off-white) ones but the RB UK ones (two left most uprights) had more.

2024-09-05 12.23.46.jpg 2024-09-05 12.22.50.jpg

Also compared are the Spur and RB UK brackets.

2024-09-04 12.40.15.jpg2024-09-04 12.41.51.jpg

The RB UK ones from Screwfix seem to be the right balance of availabilty/price/options so far.

I found that a gentle filing off the mounting points on the brackets would make them smoothly interchangeable.

Sponsored Links
I found that a gentle filing off the mounting points on the brackets would make them smoothly interchangeable.
I stick them on a grinder wheel for a few seconds, though you can just tap them so the rear buries itself in the plaster of the wall , it’s only a couple of millimetres.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back