Twisted gutter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I finally agreed to do some repairs for a friend on his garage gutters as he gets very worried and has been badly ripped off by some building tradesmen. A long section on one side had fallen off and the rear had been twisted by plants growing up behind it. This is all standard 112mm black guttering.

First question, I had to replace about six Toolstation brackets but two snapped as I tried to get them onto the gutter. It was quite a warm day as well. Is that typical or are they rather lesser quality?

Next question, the section at the back had been twisted about 90 degrees by plants climbing behind it. I removed the plants and fitted new clips at the end of the twisted section. Can I expect that over a few weeks it may regain its original shape as it only went back a few degrees when I removed the plants?

The long section at the side had collapsed to the ground and flattened the gutter after the last remaining clip. That did somewhat recover its original shape but only about 50%. Is that likely to mostly recover over a few weeks?

Sponsored Links
It must make sense to replace the gutter as well with that degree of twisting. I use flopast from Screwfix and the clips haven't snapped though they felt brittle (also fitted in summer).

Well I told him I could replace it if it does not regain much of its original shape.

But those aspects are of little relevance compared with the need to clean the neighbour's side which is completely filled up.

But he does not get on at all well with the neighbour and seeks to avoid him completely but to clean needs a ladder from neighbour's side.

This is an older actor who has to work most days in the week to get enough income to pay the outgoings on his three properties. So I try to do jobs very cheaply for him. His properties all need a huge amount of maintainance and he lives without heating or much lighting.

Sponsored Links
Can the gutter be split and capped so the neighbour's part becomes the neighbour's problem? Or is the only downspout on your mate's side and it'll cause a row that isn't worth it?

This is a detached garage with about 100mm between outside of gutter and the new fence.

So no cleaning access except from neighbour's side.

It does not help that both neighbours are IC4 and he has no experience of dealing with them.

But he now has an IC3 girlfriend.

This is a detached garage with about 100mm between outside of gutter and the new fence.

So no cleaning access except from neighbour's side.

It does not help that both neighbours are IC4 and he has no experience of dealing with them.

But he now has an IC3 girlfriend.
What relevance is the colour of their skin?

• Thanks
Reactions: ree
Agile,
Your supposed to be a plumber - so your posts above are puzzling?
After 64k posts why no pics? Half round retails on google at about £8/3m.
Why does an owner of three London properties need to plead poverty?
You should know that first you line out the falls - then fix the brackets, and then clip in the guttering?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back