Two shaver sockets in same bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A question for the learned members - just been reading something and it raised a question about having two "shaver" sockets in the same bathroom. Of course the question would be "why do it".

Example - You can now get heated mirror lights many of which include shaver sockets (we had one and never used the socket on it) and you could already have a separate shaver socket.

Does this comply with the regs or is it considered too risky as someone might happen to push a bit of wire into both sockets at the same time?

Is the alternative to disconnect one of the sockets?

Sponsored Links
Example - You can now get heated mirror lights many of which include shaver sockets (we had one and never used the socket on it) and you could already have a separate shaver socket.

Does this comply with the regs or is it considered too risky as someone might happen to push a bit of wire into both sockets at the same time?
Interested to know why you think pushing a bit of wire into both sockets at the same time is more hazardous than just doing it to one.

Only shaver sockets with isolating transformers are allowed but don't do it anyway.

My assumption was that you can hold one side to earth potential for the first socket but does the same apply to the second? Yes, you would have to be stupid to do it but I have seen some stupid things.

Sponsored Links
My assumption was that you can hold one side to earth potential for the first socket but does the same apply to the second?
The sockets are individually isolated with their own transformers.

The only way to get a shock is to simultaneously contact both poles of one of the sockets. There is no potential difference / voltage between different sockets.

Each on it`s own transformer is the safety part of it in essence, meaning you can not get a shock from earth and one conductor because there is no difference of electrical potential between them.
The only place you would find a difference in voltage is between two power conductors on the same output side of the transformer.
So the only risky part is the part we intend to use electricity from - the two pins.
You could have a hundred bathroom shaver sockets in a bathroom and still have no (almost none) potential problems.

If you could guarantee absolutely in your household supply that neither of your two (single phase) was electrically connected to earthy/meta bits then there would be fewer problems.
Unfortunately you can not absolutely guarantee that will be acceptable because some parts could accidently/unknowingly be connected to earth so we deliberately connect one to earth, we then calls it Neutral and then consider all other Lines to be mains voltage different to both the N & E.

So a bathroom shaver socket has two Lines of opposing voltages and have no opposing voltage to anything else - unless someone then decides to make a deliberate connection to earth from one of them (I can`t imagine that anyone has ever actually done that but there are people who do some very daft things )

My assumption was that you can hold one side to earth potential for the first socket but does the same apply to the second? Yes, you would have to be stupid to do it but I have seen some stupid things.
Yes it does. The secondary side of each socket is entirely isolated from earth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back