U-value for new external wall on a new small extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I want a small extension to accommodate a 2x1m bathroom (internal area) and a 1.5x1m service area. I'd like an external brickwork, in terms of appearance, to blend with the rest of the house (cavity wall from 1970).

What is the U-value requirement for the new external walls, please?
Am I looking at the right document below (doc L, vol 1: Dwellings, 2021 w/ 2023 amendments)?

On page 35, table 4.2 says the requirement is 0.18 W/(m2·K) U value, which would require 400mm-ish thick walls. Is my understanding correct?
Isn't it too much for an extra bathroom and service area?

It also says:
"If meeting such a standard would reduce the internal floor area of the room bounded by the wall by more than 5%, a lesser provision may be appropriate"

Ok, but what constitutes a lesser provision?
It doesn't point to any explanation. Can I consider as appropriate whatever U-value I want?
Is this what we pay tax for? For them to create difficult, unclear regulations? Gosh!!!

It's a side extension and I want to leave a foot passage to the backyard, therefore I'm trying to make the extension as narrow as it can be.
In the worst-case scenario, I think about accessing it via an external door, despite being an adjoining extension, just to be considered a non-habitable space and lessen the requirements, etc.. but only if necessary and if it makes sense.

I appreciate any help, please.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hi, I want a small extension to accommodate a 2x1m bathroom (internal area) and a 1.5x1m service area. I'd like an external brickwork, in terms of appearance, to blend with the rest of the house (cavity wall from 1970).

What is the U-value requirement for the new external walls, please?
Am I looking at the right document below (doc L, vol 1: Dwellings, 2021 w/ 2023 amendments)?

On page 35, table 4.2 says the requirement is 0.18 W/(m2·K) U value, which would require 400mm-ish thick walls. Is my understanding correct?
Isn't it too much for an extra bathroom and service area?

It also says:
"If meeting such a standard would reduce the internal floor area of the room bounded by the wall by more than 5%, a lesser provision may be appropriate"

Ok, but what constitutes a lesser provision?
It doesn't point to any explanation. Can I consider as appropriate whatever U-value I want?
Is this what we pay tax for? For them to create difficult, unclear regulations? Gosh!!!

It's a side extension and I want to leave a foot passage to the backyard, therefore I'm trying to make the extension as narrow as it can be.
In the worst-case scenario, I think about accessing it via an external door, despite being an adjoining extension, just to be considered a non-habitable space and lessen the requirements, etc.. but only if necessary and if it makes sense.

I appreciate any help, please.
Thanks.
Using a more powerful (and more expensive) insulation, walls can be successfully built using 300mm thick walls, i.e. 105mm - 100mm - 100mm (external brickwork - cavity - internal blockwork).
Full fill Unilin for example.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back