Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

New to this forum. I need some help with how to fill the UFH manifold. See the attached photo for details. I can see the full point but no drain. I can't find any instructions online for this model/ type of manifold. Anyone has experience on how to fill it properly?

Also, the flow meters on the top, should these suppose to have water rising right to the top inside the clear glass tubes?

Many thanks in advance.

Attachments

• PXL_20240618_084559420.jpg
    PXL_20240618_084559420.jpg
    306.4 KB · Views: 64
Sponsored Links
Drain (and could be used to fill, I suppose) point is between the mixer and temp gauge on bottom rail.
You cannot drain the UFH completely - it'll always have liquid in the loop pipes unless 'sucked out' with vacuum pump.
Fill would be from the main CH filler and pipework I expect (along with inhibitor added if necessary). Manually opening the air vent.

The actuators will need removing and replaced with caps to force open the valves under them to allow water to get into/round the loops.

The flow meters will drop down (against the spring pressure( when water is circulating to around where the red marks are... the marks are zero flow (at top) to 5 at bottom (possibly as litres per minute?).

I'd ask why you think there's no water in the UFH manifold and CH system, perhaps?

Thanks @Rodders53 for your help. The reason for refilling was there was a small leak in the manifold as one of the oring seals had failed. The plumber filled it up using the bottom valve as described by you. The UFH pipes had the water in them. It was only the manifold that was drained and removed. When filling, I could hear the hissing sound from the air vent. The plumber kept on saying that there should be a separate drain valve like in other manifolds on the market and that he had not seen such a bad design.
The only difference is that before the manifold was removed, the glass tubes on the flow meters showed water in them full to the top. After the repair, there is no water showing in them. When I asked the plumber, he blamed it onto the lack to a separate drain valve
The system is filled with Addey cleaner both in ufh and central heating. It is due to be flushed in 2 weeks times. And without two separate drain and fill valves I cant see how the water can be fully forced out of the UFH pipes loops. And then refilled with fresh water.

Wording if someone has an instructions manual for this type of manifold...

Will adding a drain and fill at the end of manifold (top n bottom) be a good idea or am I over thinking? See attached

Attachments

• PXL_20240617_123829152~3.jpg
    PXL_20240617_123829152~3.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 28
  • PXL_20240619_110438531.jpg
    PXL_20240619_110438531.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Flushing the system is easy - using the red tap to fill and disconnect the other end of the loop pipe and flush through. leave all that to your plumber, just make sure he does it all. The AAV could be removed and a temp manual vent/tap added to aid in this too.

When filling the UFH then the top section of the manifold should bleed through the AAV. Was the dust cap loosened when filling? That should help vent the air out of the meters.

Why do you keep mentioning a drain? There isn't really a drain on the UFH, as the UFH is normally below the level of the manifold so a drain would be pointless. What there would usually be is a fill inlet tap and an outlet to allow the UFH to be filled separately from the other CH system. Is there a 2 port valve or isolations on the feed/return to the UFH?

Flushing the system is easy - using the red tap to fill and disconnect the other end of the loop pipe and flush through. leave all that to your plumber, just make sure he does it all. The AAV could be removed and a temp manual vent/tap added to aid in this too.

When filling the UFH then the top section of the manifold should bleed through the AAV. Was the dust cap loosened when filling? That should help vent the air out of the meters.

Why do you keep mentioning a drain? There isn't really a drain on the UFH, as the UFH is normally below the level of the manifold so a drain would be pointless. What there would usually be is a fill inlet tap and an outlet to allow the UFH to be filled separately from the other CH system. Is there a 2 port valve or isolations on the feed/return to the UFH?
Thanks @Madrab .
I am not very technical so ignore the wrong terminology pls but I am good at DIY

The plumber is done. He won't come back and do it as he thinks the design is flawed and won't work. I am left on my own now to flush the UFH Addey cleaner. Then refilled the loops and manifold. Before I have to comission another plumber I would like to give it a go. And I will need some help. Please bare with me .

There is a 2 zone valve on flow before the pump for ufh and central heating. There are also isolation valves before flow and after return to completely isolate ufh from that heating system.
Can I ask what are dust caps? Are you referring to caps where 2 actuators are?

What I understand is to connect a hose to red inlet at the bottom. Undo the return pipes (eurocones) on both zones and make sure to close the actuators ( otherwise water will flow from the bottom of the manifold through opened eurocone female connections). The water enters the manifold, goes though the top of manifold where the flowmeters are and then forced into ufh loops. And once the loops are full it will come out from the loose ends of return pipes (eurocones male) that were undone earlier. And in this process there can be water spills on the floor as well.
If I add inlet and outlet at the end of brass manifold ( see attached) can the above be achieved without the possible mess of undoing pipes and water spillage?

I could be totally wrong but trying to get my head around it. Really appreciate your help guys

Attachments

• PXL_20240617_123829152~3.jpg
    PXL_20240617_123829152~3.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 21

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back