Uneven grout colour

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_7127.jpeg
IMG_7128.jpeg

Hi all, I’ve done my first DIY tiling job and I’m pretty happy apart from the grouting. I used Mapei Flexible Wall & Floor Grout Silver Grey.
I did one mix, half of the room, then another mix and the other half of the room. The first half has some uneven color (it’s very dark in some places), while the second half is a very uniform light grey color.
I used the exact same water:powder ratio for both mixes (I used a kitchen scale).
There were some adhesive residues but they were evenly distributed in both halves of the room.
What have I done wrong?
What could be the reason?

Sponsored Links
Tile cement not removed from grout lines gives a darker appearance to any grout on top.Darker grout is best on floors, it always ends up that way.

Maybe you didn't mix the grout in the bag enough before measuring it out? I always squeeze the bag and shake well before opening it to ensure the powder is properly uniformly mixed

Maybe you didn't mix the grout in the bag enough before measuring it out? I always squeeze the bag and shake well before opening it to ensure the powder is properly uniformly mixed
No, I didn’t mix it in the bag. But even so, I would expect two different shades between the two halves of the room, not two shades within the first half.

Sponsored Links
I think then its likely to be as Foxhole says. Anyway overall your grout looks good!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back