Unknown UPVC Gasket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been asked to help a neighbour replace their window seals but I'm struggling finding the right gasket to replace the seals on the windows. I'm having 0 luck searching for them and also not really sure how to get them out.

It appears to be a solid piece of plastic that the rubber seal is mounted on and the solid plastic then fits into the groove around the window. They have corroded so much the rubber just peels off the hard plastic and leaves the plastic stuck in the groove. Any one here have any ideas? I've got a photo attached. (the lighter grey bit is the plastic that appears to be sat in the groove around the window, half the seal has disintegrated as you can see in the photo.

Attachments

• c6f4e7da-d871-4d00-9f75-2d9ee1fd4cf5.jpg
    c6f4e7da-d871-4d00-9f75-2d9ee1fd4cf5.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 58
Sponsored Links
I bought some mixed sample packs off eBay and found one that fitted.
It might be different but if you can find one that works get some.

yea I've tried these and they are all 1 piece of moulded rubber, whereas these look like the rubber bubble mounts onto a solid plastic runner that is pushed into the recess around the window.

anyone any experience with the self adhesive seals would they be a decent alternative solution?

So you think this universal one won't work?

Like I said it don't matter If not the same as long as it works.

I guess it will need to fit in the track and stay

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
whereas these look like the rubber bubble mounts onto a solid plastic runner that is pushed into the recess around the window
I know what you mean, I even have some somewhere, but I haven't used that style in a long time

Take a look at the various dimensions on the different profiles of "bubble gasket":

All you need is one that will hold itself in place; you clear the plastic strip out of the groove, and discard any old gasket, then press a new one in (squirting with soapy water can help)

Measure the window up and choose one that will fit the groove. For example if your window has a 3 to 4mm slot that gets a bit wider inside, then an R509 gasket should fit:

IMG_2789.jpeg

Don't get this gasket if the slot in the window is more than 5mm wide because it will fall out.. Pick a wider gasket

--

Be prepared to use a bit of engineering ingenuity if you can't get an exact fit. For example I recently had some roof windows that needed new gasket and I couldn't find a suitable one; a 3mm channel carries the window and an L shape with a bump in it pressed it down:

IMG_2790.jpeg

I ended up ripping an R6809X gasket into two strips, separating the L shaped bit from the arrow shaped bottom bit, the L bit being inverted for use under the clamp strip and the the arrow part squeezing into the 3mm channel. It worked well; don't be afraid to modify the gasket to suit your need

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I know what you mean, I even have some somewhere, but I haven't used that style in a long time

Take a look at the various dimensions on the different profiles of "bubble gasket":

All you need is one that will hold itself in place; you clear the plastic strip out of the groove, and discard any old gasket, then press a new one in (squirting with soapy water can help)

Measure the window up and choose one that will fit the groove. For example if your window has a 3 to 4mm slot that gets a bit wider inside, then an R509 gasket should fit:

View attachment 299670

Don't get this gasket if the slot in the window is more than 5mm wide because it will fall out.. Pick a wider gasket

--

Be prepared to use a bit of engineering ingenuity if you can't get an exact fit. For example I recently had some roof windows that needed new gasket and I couldn't find a suitable one; a 3mm channel carries the window and an L shape with a bump in it pressed it down:

View attachment 299672

I ended up ripping an R6809X gasket into two strips, separating the L shaped bit from the arrow shaped bottom bit, the L bit being inverted for use under the clamp strip and the the arrow part squeezing into the 3mm channel. It worked well; don't be afraid to modify the gasket to suit your need

Fair play and impressive! - don't suppose you have any tips on how to get the plastic runners out? there's very little space to even get something sharp in?

So you think this universal one won't work?

Like I said it don't matter If not the same as long as it works.

I guess it will need to fit in the track and stay

i suppose if i can get that plastic out somehow one of these packs would be perfect! Cheers!

From what I recall of my roof windows, they slide in so you should find they slide out again if you can get it make a suitable opening; the corners of the frame are probably welded at this seam/groove, trapping the seal in. I'd look to use a chisel and remove a small part of the groove

Another thought; see if you can run a Stanley knife down it using the groove as a guide and cut the plastic strip in two, making it easier to pick sideways and pull out through the groove

Can you take a pic of the corner?

Last edited:
From what I recall of my roof windows, they slide in so you should find they slide out again if you can get it make a suitable opening; the corners of the frame are probably welded at this seam/groove, trapping the seal in. I'd look to use a chisel and remove a small part of the groove

Another thought; see if you can run a Stanley knife down it using the groove as a guide and cut the plastic strip in two, making it easier to pick sideways and pull out through the groove

Can you take a pic of the corner?
Sorry didn’t come back to you, Stanley knife cutting it up worked but it was a bastard and time consuming, got a rubber seal that worked, however then discovered the windows had been damaged as someone had drilled holes and mounted blinds directly into the aluminium frames and damaged the opening mechanisms too, so in the end she decided to replace the windows!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back