Unvented Cylinder in Cellar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi people,

Current setup is a vented cylinder with stupidly low cold water flow rates. So low that even if I bought a pump for the taps it isn’t enough to trigger such pumps! The reason being that the loft space is TINY. I found paper work showing previous owners had condensation issues so they moved the cold water tanks into the bathroom on a shelf in the cupboard that houses the cylinder. So that explains the crazy low pressure.

I was thinking of upgrading to an unvented system. Unfortunately I can’t figure out a location in the house which would give a decent place for the discharge pipe. If I put it in the large bathroom cupboard that currently houses the cold water tanks and cylinder then the external wall wouldn’t work as it leads to the flat roof extension. It would have to climb to exit the wall above the roof so that wouldn’t work.

I was entertaining putting it in the cellar as we only use this for storage. We already have the boiler down there. I understand it would require an expensive pump to keep within regulations. I basically wanted to know if it was a good idea to consider the cellar for an unvented system?

Also, a rough idea of extra costs of a pump if it was installed in a cellar vs a more conventional location. Another reason I wanted to consider installing it here is because it would increase the size of the bathroom substantially if the cylinder/feeder tanks cupboard was gone.

Thank you for any help offered.

Sponsored Links
First thing to check is your mains flow and pressure. You might not be able to have an unvented cylinder. Ideally, your hot water cylinder should be central to the house as you may find you are waiting a fair while for the hot water in the cellar to reach the taps in the bathroom.

First thing to check is your mains flow and pressure. You might not be able to have an unvented cylinder. Ideally, your hot water cylinder should be central to the house as you may find you are waiting a fair while for the hot water in the cellar to reach the taps in the bathroom.

Thanks. The mains flow and pressure is high enough as measured by the outdoor tap. There are a few people on the road that have an unvented system but they have all found good places for them. I just can’t think of decent place for it other than the cellar.

Sponsored Links
Firstly you need to test your mains water for dynamic pressure and flow to see if you have a suitable supply for the cylinder.

If the location is the cellar then the D2 could be run to a suitable and safe floor based location somewhere in the cellar. Are there no drains?

Firstly you need to test your mains water for dynamic pressure and flow to see if you have a suitable supply for the cylinder.

If the location is the cellar then the D2 could be run to a suitable and safe floor based location somewhere in the cellar. Are there no drains?
Thanks. One place I was thinking is that there is an old coal room which is concealed with a lockable door. The coal room sometimes has a small amount of standing water in it because above it is a big open coal shoot and above that is a paved patio. During heavy rain some gets through and down the coal shoot. There is never and standing water in the rest of the cellar (which is about 50 sq mtrs). So I can’t see why it wouldn’t be safe to direct the D2 through that wall of the cellar into the coal room?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back