uPVC door lock mechanism problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Came to open my uPVC door today and the handle felt odd - it also only opened after giving the handle some welly towards the bottom. Operating the lock mechanism whilst the door is open shows the two hooks aren't fully retracting (overhanging by about 5mm), and the door handle has some slop that wasn't there before. It will retract fully if you give it some force downwards, but I don't really want to be in a position where I am locked out.

I'm unsure whether it's just old, or if someone has been up to nefarious things in the night (we have had a lot of reports of people trying doors in our street).

Having looked at various threads on here, it would seem that I can remove the hooks (leaving the centre lock) whilst arranging for a replacement mechanism since I'll need the whole lot out to measure it.

Can I just remove the whole hook assembly top and bottom, or do I need to cut/remove anything else?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Usually unscrews. Limited experience myself and never been able to buy the correct parts. Just have to give it ago

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back