Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi im wanting to change my door locking mechanism so that it cant be opened from outside without a key.

I’ve checked my current lock and it only has a single spindle so i guess this needs to be changed.

My fathers door once shut required the key to be fully turned to open but still operated the multi points locks if lifted which is exactly what im after

What do i need to get/do?

Thanks
IMG_2034.jpeg

Sponsored Links
You need a mechanism with a 'split spindle'.....or a 'split follower' with the same gearbox dimensions as in your picture so a 92pz and 35mm backset, thats also a 'GU' mechanism/gearbox which is obsolete now. You'll also need new handles with offset levers or 'lever/pad' handles.

By the time you've sourced and retro fitted a newer mechanism, routered out new holes in the edge of the door to accept the different position of the hook gearboxes AND the same for the frame side locking strip, fitted new handles, set the door up so it all works smoothly it would be quicker to fit a new door, if you were to get a service engineer to do it then don't expect much change from £500 and at £500 your less than halfway to a new door which will be modern upvc, efficient and have a 10 year guarantee

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back