UPVC Sealant and paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a rather old UPVC bay window which we are planning on painting, we’ve done all the others and they look fantastic, thankfully no sealant evident, so I’m confident it will too, but we’ve identified areas on this bay where the corner trim does have sealant.

Obviously the sealant can’t be painted over, and I’m hesitant to rip it all out. Mainly for the pain and time involved, so question is, are there any alternative options; time is not on our side due to terrible weather / work etc?

Rip out the old sealant; clean and re-seal with coloured sealer (which I suspect is the correct order of action)?

Or Glue UPVC trims or beading over the old areas of sealant then paint, sealant areas are the dirty zones in the crevices (I’ll tackle the sills later).

IMG_0383.jpeg
IMG_0382.jpeg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Buy silicone remover and get at it.
I think it's better to remove it for painting

I think that’s sound advice. Just hesitant is all. Will need a scaffold now, so I’ll invest the time to properly clean out all that gunk before anything. Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back