UPVC window glazing replacement.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

My first post on here, used the forum a lot for help over the years but I can't seem to find much info on this issue.

I have a 1930s bungalow with some old upvc windows, quite a few of which have blown and have condensation within the double glazing units. I have a friend at a glazing company who can sort the glass so I thought I'd take one out and measure up!

They are externally beaded and it took me some trial and error getting the beads off, damaged the first one a bit but once I figured it out it was fine, also did cracj the window in the process but we live and learn! It needed replacing any way.

So I got the window out, measured it up and when putting it back in, whilst I wait for the new glass, I noticed that the beading is now not tight at all. It simply clicked into place with no tapping from a rubber mallet and the glass feels a bit of a loose fit. I can't figure out why this is? All rubber seals etc are in place. Also, the corners of the beading now don't seem to align with one another, they are cut at 45 degrees and are a very tight fit, I had to bend the strip in the middle then tap the corners in but they are a bit gappy.

Anyway, enough writing here are some pictures. I have included pictures of a window that hasn't been taken out yet to show how tightly the corners fit.

Hoping someone can advise on the loose fit of the beading upon putting the window back in and on getting the corners of the beading right!

Thanks in advance.

Will

Attachments

• PXL_20240726_153034824.jpg
    PXL_20240726_153034824.jpg
    317.4 KB · Views: 28
  • PXL_20240726_153049135.jpg
    PXL_20240726_153049135.jpg
    394.6 KB · Views: 28
  • PXL_20240726_153052680.jpg
    PXL_20240726_153052680.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 26
  • PXL_20240726_153057367.jpg
    PXL_20240726_153057367.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 27
  • PXL_20240726_153101135.jpg
    PXL_20240726_153101135.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 28
Sponsored Links
I don't think you have them in correctly. I struggle a bit to get mine in as they don't sit as you think they would before knocking in. Maybe try find YouTube video

Thanks both for your replies. Will see if I can find a video showing some similar ones.

Sponsored Links
I don't think the coat of paint helped with the removal, or re-seating either.
Did you try cutting the paint along the joints first and cleaning it off the mating surfaces before reinstalling?
It may also have helped glue the beading to the frame, if there were any pre-existing looseness?

They sit oddly but when you knock in they click in and line up. I use soap and a rubber mallet to get them in. Only 2 out of the 4 strips have a mite cut. Those 2 go on last on either side..

Yeah the paint definitely didn't help. I did have to cut along the gap first. Will clean up the mating surfaces and see if it helps.

Thanks for the tip on the soap! Will give it another go tomorrow. I also don't think it helps that the window has cracked. As the glass now has some flex in it.

Just want to make sure I can get this one back in before I attempt it with new glazing units on about 6 of the windows in total.

Also does anyone have a good source for replacement beading? I have a feeling these are so old I may be stuck with what I have!

Any manufacturers markings on the window edging. Open window and look.
I can't get any for mine unfortunately

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back