Using a 3-port valve in an S-plan system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can I use an in situ 3-port valve as a 2-port valve where port B (hot water) is blanked off? I assume that if I simply combine the grey and white wires from the actuator to receive 230V from the CH thermostat, when the CH thermostat calls for heating, the 3-port valve opens to allow water to circulate to port A (only) and the orange wire becomes live to actuate the boiler. So the 3-port valve/actuator is acting in the manner of a 2 port valve/actuator. (I know that the more obvious thing to do is to replace the 3-port valve but it's in a very awkward location.)

Note that in the system, there is one other CH zones which is controlled by one 2-port valve/actuator. Thus, would there be any electrical conflict or running difficulties in directly electrically combining the orange wires from both valves at the boiler/pump given that there are internal switches/diodes in the 3-port actuator?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I think it should be OK, the internal switches will still be in use but the white (&grey) will be switched live from the roomstat so SW1 will keep the valve in the CH position and SW2 will provide the boiler/pump run signal?, there will be voltage on the de magnetizing resistors with the motor powered as well with this mod but I don't think it should cause any problems

Attachments

• Honeywell Y Plan Mid Position Valve Schematic.gif
    Honeywell Y Plan Mid Position Valve Schematic.gif
    20.3 KB · Views: 11
TBH, I would recommend you take the pain just now. That 3 port motor is going to burn out at some point and will need replaced at some point.

But this one will now operate exactly like a 2 port, in that it will de energize and "close" every time the CH is switched off and won't stay powered up overnight etc.

Sponsored Links
True, as it won't ever be needed in its mid position, my thinking was though unless it's new, and it's been used as a 3 port all it's life then the motor will probably already be 'quite well used' so it will no doubt already have a reduced lifespan.

Much easier even just to remove it and site a new 2 port somewhere easier to access.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back