Using Type C MCB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Quick one.

For a heat pump install where the outdoor unit needs a Type-C MCB. Often they use that for heat pump supply alone and separate Type-B 6A MCB to supply the internal controls/valves/pumps etc.

If a CU is limited on space, Would it contravene the regs running the internal components off the Type-C MCB as well? Assuming the correct cable size is used upto a fuse spur supplying the internal components? (Also assuming the equipment manufacturer does not state a preference. And correct RCD type is used for Heat pump)

Sponsored Links
Why a type C?

I would prefer to have the whole system fed from the same point.

Type C require a tighter tolerance on the EFLI: the limit is half that of Type B breakers.

If your max Zs on a Type C conforms, then I can't see a problem.

Why a type C?

I would prefer to have the whole system fed from the same point.

Type C require a tighter tolerance on the EFLI: the limit is half that of Type B breakers.

If your max Zs on a Type C conforms, then I can't see a problem.

Manufacturer of heat pump (Domestic) states the outdoor unit must be protected by a Type-C MCB due to potential inrush current when starting the compressor.

So Type B-RCB, Type-C MCB, (Generally 3-Slots in the CU gone straight away), if the controls have their own Type-B MCB, and potentially in many cases another MCB for Immersion heater. If they want SPD protection then 2-3 more ways used up.

So quite often they will be looking at needing a Sub-board for new heat pump install.

I'm just wandering if they had 3 spare ways in CU, so they could fit the minimum (Type B RCD, and Type C MCB) if it would be a violation to run some of the indoor equipment off the C-MCB assuming the indoor equipment still has its own fused spur) or whether that would be an acceptable compromise.

This isn't for a particular job, more so just looking at what advice is good and bad for Heating and Electrical installers as to their options/methods they could choose from.

An MCB needs to protect the cable (overload and short circuit). If the loop impedance is low enough to clear a fault I can’t see any reason not to use a type C for the controls. If required by the manufacturer, use an FCU with appropriate fuse.

Sponsored Links
A type C has same inrush as a type B twice the size. And there is a problem getting the loop impedance low enough, a socket tester will normally show fault at around 1.9 ohms, so 10 amp type C, or 20 amp type B approx.

Most heat pumps are inverter drive, as otherwise hard to get the loop impedance low enough.

It may be worth looking at a fuse!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back